Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
I've used Boot Camp to create a 32GB partition and install Windows XP (SP2 home edition) on my alu iMac (2.66 Ghz, 4GB RAM).

I used the FAT format to allow transfer of files between the Mac partition and the Windows one.

After booting Windows, I put in my original Leopard install DVD as directed, and the Boot Camp installer automatically came up.

Each time it gets about halfway, and the screen goes blue and is filled with white text. I can't read what it says, other than it reports some error, as the computer automatically reboots a couple of seconds later, does a disk check (which I can't cancel as the keyboard doesn't work) and I'm back into Windows.

I've looked at the Leopard DVD contents but don't know where to start with installed drivers manually - I did manage to get the ATI installer running, but the keyboard doesn't work, and I have no network or anything.

Each time I run the Boot Camp setup, it does the same thing - gets halfway, crashes, reboots, back to square one.

Any ideas?

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
If the XP installation goes through alright and the iMac was running OS X fine beforehand, I'd be focusing my attention to the Leopard DVD. Have you used it before to archive/erase & install the system? If not the disc itself might be bad, and you would be well within your rights to request a replacement from AppleCare.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
As far as I know, the Leopard DVD is fine. It's a boxed retail copy, and has been used to erase and install Leopard on two iMacs and a Macbook.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
You should be using the first of the two gray discs that came with the Aluminum iMac, or the upgrade disc that came along with it. Odd things could potentially happen when you use another disc, even a retail one.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Hmm, this iMac doesn't have them. I have a 2.4 Ghz iMac that does - but I guess that won't have the right drivers on it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.