Blue screen problem, but during use...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blenderdude, Mar 6, 2006.

1. blenderdude macrumors member

For a while, I was having the login problem where the computer would stop at the blue screen. I fixed this with the article on mac 101.

However, now a blue screen will pop up seemingly at random, after a while of using the computer. This means that if I leave the computer on over night, there is invariably a blue screen up in the morning. When this happens I have to do a manual shutdown, and I can't save in any of my programs.

Putting the computer to sleep prevents this from happening during sleep, but I don't want to do that *every* time I step away from my computer...

Any help would be awesome.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you mean you're getting logged out? :confused:

Do you have Log Out After X Minutes Of Inactivity ticked in the Security pane of System Preferences?

Alternatively, what exactly is running on your system when this happens? Would it be possible to post a screen shot or a photo of one of these blue screens? :)

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

What kind of "blue screen" are we talking about here? Just a plain blue screen like the one at start up or something with a message or what?

Long shot: Have you set your Mac to log out after a certain number of minutes inactivity in System Preferences -> Security? Edit: Beaten well and good... time to go to bed... :eek: ;)

Also: Have you tried all the usual mumbo jumbo™: Running maintenance scripts, repairing permissions, verifying your disk, checking SMART status, logging in from another user account, etc.?

4. blenderdude thread starter macrumors member

Sorry about the lack of details.

The blue screen is just a blank, pale blue screen, like you see briefly during the log on process.
    I don't have the preferences set to automatically log out at all.

I just ran a repair permissions, but as I said the screen only happens after a long time (overnight, mostly). I guess I'll find out tommorow morning whether repair permissions worked or not %|

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What apps do you have running overnight? Also, is the machine warm when you get back to it in the morning (with the blue screen)? :)

6. blenderdude thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't matter what apps are open. Regardless of what I'm doing, there's a blue screen.

And repair permissions didn't help.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Please go back over this thread and answer some of the other questions. This is a pretty weird/unorthodox problem so the more information we all have, the better the chance we have of getting to the bottom of your problem. :)

In the meantime, create a new user account in System Preferences and see if the same problems happen. :)

8. blenderdude thread starter macrumors member

Sorry about not answering all the questions; I'm pretty busy (not to mention a little frustrated) :)
    The S.M.A.R.T status is 'Verified' in disk utility.
    I've done everything listed by Mitthrawnuruodo except create a user account. I'll try and do that tonight, and report back tommorow.

Thanks for the help. :)

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries, there's no hurry. Hopefully the new account will work properly because that pretty much means it's a software-side issue and at worst you'll just have to migrate everything across to the new one. :)

10. blenderdude thread starter macrumors member

Well, I left the computer on all night, and there was no blue screen.
    I switched to my regular admin account during the day, and left it on... and no blue screen.

Weird! I just hope the problem is really gone :)