Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
To be honest, I think both displays look great. The blue accents in iOS make the blueish screen look a bit nicer in menu settings, but when viewing photos I think the "yellow" display actually looks better. I think my screen is yellow too, but it never seems yellow unless I compare it to a blue iPhone (which in turn doesn't seem right either).

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
To be honest, I think both displays look great. The blue accents in iOS make the blueish screen look a bit nicer in menu settings, but when viewing photos I think the "yellow" display actually looks better. I think my screen is yellow too, but it never seems yellow unless I compare it to a blue iPhone (which in turn doesn't seem right either).

True, but ive seen a ton of replacements and they are yellow tinted....Going back to Apple is a waste of time. Ive been to 4 different stores, even cupertino.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Yellow screened iPhones are FAIL! Period. They are NOT suppose to look like that. It's not a "that's how it's meant to be" BS either.

Those screens are dull, washed out and lack detail. The blacks are also GRAY. Trust me, I have been through it with the 3GS. Gave up after several attempts.

Very good comparison shots on the Asian iPhone. The one with the bluer/whiter screen is clearly, deeper, richer, crisper and clearer. The yellow one, crap.

I guess when you look at crap screens all day and don't know the difference, it doesn't matter. Anyone that knows what they're talking about and knows anything about color, knows there is a big difference.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
Just compared to my iPod touch 4 and my iPhone 4 has the yellowish screen

I do notice on menus the cooler blue screen seems to be more vibrant. But on pictures (compared same pics on both devices) the pics on the iPhone seem deeper and richer to me. Especially anything with good sun light.

Never noticed it before but having 2 retina screens right next to each other and it was easy to spot. Is it a deal breaker for me? No. I just won't obsess over my phone that much.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Just compared to my iPod touch 4 and my iPhone 4 has the yellowish screen

I do notice on menus the cooler blue screen seems to be more vibrant. But on pictures (compared same pics on both devices) the pics on the iPhone seem deeper and richer to me. Especially anything with good sun light.

Never noticed it before but having 2 retina screens right next to each other and it was easy to spot. Is it a deal breaker for me? No. I just won't obsess over my phone that much.

Same exact situation with me

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Yellow screened iPhones are FAIL! Period. They are NOT suppose to look like that. It's not a "that's how it's meant to be" BS either.

Those screens are dull, washed out and lack detail. The blacks are also GRAY. Trust me, I have been through it with the 3GS. Gave up after several attempts.

Very good comparison shots on the Asian iPhone. The one with the bluer/whiter screen is clearly, deeper, richer, crisper and clearer. The yellow one, crap.

I guess when you look at crap screens all day and don't know the difference, it doesn't matter. Anyone that knows what they're talking about and knows anything about color, knows there is a big difference.

sure they might be a fail....but come on...ive seen 8 replacemnts, people on the iphone forum have been through many more and every single replacement along with brand new are yellow tinted...if your 2010 blue tinted iphone stops working and you need a replacement, you will be getting a yellow tinted screen.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
I love my phone and thought I was the uber geek who got too deep into his phone. I have been proven wrong so many times by the obsessive folks here.

I am nothing compared to some of the folk here. You guys really geek out on your phones.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I love my phone and thought I was the uber geek who got too deep into his phone. I have been proven wrong so many times by the obsessive folks here.

I am nothing compared to some of the folk here. You guys really geek out on your phones.

your point? goodbye..

Mobster Sauce

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
I prefer yellow. I tint all my monitors yellow on purpose. When I'm in my home, the lights are yellow and nothing looks pure white.

It's easier on the eyes and more natural looking.

However, it would be nice if apple included some sort of color calibration to the iPhone so that people who don't like blue can change it to yellow and people who don't like yellow can change it to blue.

I believe this is why they have color calibration on every monitor there is. Manufacturing varies on each one a little bit. I'm guessing they give them a quick calibration before they leave the factory, but I guess it depends on the mood of the person doing it or the tolerances in the machines.

Mobster Sauce

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011

Professionally calibrated monitors are yellow.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Update : went back to Apple with my yellow tinted refurbished phone (5K) After seeing 8 replacement phones, they are yellow. Went to Apple, genius agreed mine was off and offered to replace. I said I will only if not yellow. The guy got his manager, they got a total of 30 (THIRTY) black boxes and opened each one. EACH one started with 5K and was yellow tinted. This was at the end of the day too. The manager then opened a brand new iPhone 4 and compared it and of course it is blue tinted. He then gave me the brand new phone. FINALLY this is over for me.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
Update : went back to Apple with my yellow tinted refurbished phone (5K) After seeing 8 replacement phones, they are yellow. Went to Apple, genius agreed mine was off and offered to replace. I said I will only if not yellow. The guy got his manager, they got a total of 30 (THIRTY) black boxes and opened each one. EACH one started with 5K and was yellow tinted. This was at the end of the day too. The manager then opened a brand new iPhone 4 and compared it and of course it is blue tinted. He then gave me the brand new phone. FINALLY this is over for me.

Wow you actually made an Apple employee open 30 boxes just to satisfy your obsessive needs?

The phone is great as is with a yellowish screen. Looking at my IPod touch the blue cooler screen looks less clear now compared to my iPhone 4. Maybe you should go back get the yellow screen.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Wow you actually made an Apple employee open 30 boxes just to satisfy your obsessive needs?

The phone is great as is with a yellowish screen. Looking at my IPod touch the blue cooler screen looks less clear now compared to my iPhone 4. Maybe you should go back get the yellow screen.

Ya because I asked him to do that.....

The guy looked at my screen, said it shouldnt be yellow and said he will open as many replacements as he needs to until he finds a good one that looks like the displays. he opened 30 of them until he gave up. Did i ask for that? No.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
And honestly, the people who come in here to say we are obsessive and stuff....whats the point? How old are you people that say that stuff? 19? Ignore the thread and don't open it.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
And honestly, the people who come in here to say we are obsessive and stuff....whats the point? How old are you people that say that stuff? 19? Ignore the thread and don't open it.

How old are you obsessing over the screen of a phone? The apple employee most likely felt obligated from the intensity of your fixation on the screen. Don't pass blame to him, you're the one who initiated him opening several boxes. You could've stopped at 10. But no, you let him go all the way to 30.

5 or 6 boxes in it would've been pretty obvious.

I'm 42 self-employed and do not make retail employees who make $12 an hour do stupid excessive work just to satisfy my unreasonable expectations. I tip well, treat every person working in service with respect. Do you really think you helped Apple discover some new issue? Trust me they all know about the yellow tint. They're good actors. They always act surprised.

Sent from my iPod touch 4 using Tapatalk

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I'm 27. I walked in, showed him the screen during the appt. He said it wasnt normal. came back 15 minutes later and told me he opened 30 phones. Did i say I thought I helped Apple realize a new issue? You are 42 yet arguing over this with me.....?

patp

Apr 10, 2008
I'm 27. I walked in, showed him the screen during the appt. He said it wasnt normal. came back 15 minutes later and told me he opened 30 phones. Did i say I thought I helped Apple realize a new issue? You are 42 yet arguing over this with me.....?

son, i've obviously triggered a latent pent up emotion in you and i apologize for this. Please enjoy your new phone and remember, you don't have to justify anything to me. Nobody asked for it. If you feel the need to offer it, those are your own issues.

Whatever happened between you and the metrosexual Apple employee is all good with me.

Get over yourself and your fuzzy blue screen. the screen that isn't as clear as the screen you returned. Yeah, the one that didn't matter till you read about it on the internet. Yeah, I am the one with the maturity problem here.

SonoViva

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
CA
2h51yzm.jpg

Lotso

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
OC, California
How old are you obsessing over the screen of a phone?

Do you know what has made Apple so successful and why its products are some of the best made in the entire world? Because from the moment the idea for something starts to when it gets in the customers hands, everything about it, is scrutinized down to the last mm. That includes the hue of the screen. Those who love Apple products tend to scrutinize in the same way.

Its the Apple way.

bobbytallant

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
I've had the iPhone 4 since launch and it has been the cooler, blue tint version, which (to me) looks much better than the yellow tint.

The mrs has just got an iPhone 4 and hers has the yellow tint.

Whether it is right or wrong to ask for a replacement, are Apple obliged to replace yellow-tinted iPhone 4s?

Holding the 2 phones next to each other makes the difference very obvious..

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There

I should try this...

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I should try this...

Just realize I did NOT ask for them to open that many. I was sitting next to computers playing around and the guy came back after 20 minutes saying they opened 30 and gave up. Then opened a brand new iphone instead and gave it to me.

Last edited:

bizfox

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
And another one... maybe my eyes need glasses, but I see a hint of yellow tint in these screenshots from my iPhone...

908yfn.jpg

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Duuuuude, you can't capture the color temperature with a screenshot. It's not software. :rolleyes:

Did you take any pics of your yellow screen? I can't imagine Apple really doing this. Why on Earth would they open 30 boxes to replace a phone with a screen that is perfectly fine? It's not like the blue one is better than the yellow one or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.