blue tooth mighty mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tiggle, Feb 5, 2006.

1. tiggle macrumors member

Does anyone know when there will be a blue tooth mighty mouse? Why is there not one already?
    Thanks.

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

It really could be anytime. Apple originally introduced to to get Windows users, and I'm assuming they're satisfied with the way they structured it right now, because they haven't introduced it. This may be wrong, but maybe they can't get all the sensativity they get with the USB model, over bluetooth.

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

They could be waiting 'till BT2 is in all the machines they sell and has some decent market saturation, if the problem is indeed getting enough data over the BT connection...

4. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

I'd have thought it is more likely that the problem is getting sufficiently long battery life. There have been some new very low power bluetooth chips announced over the last few months and are just starting to hit the market, so that may help. I would suspect the problem is with the power required by the microcontroller in the mouse (processing wise, it does a fair bit more than even optical).

Another possibility is that Apple engineers are reworking the scroll ball (perhaps even working on an optical or capacitance implementation) in light of problems reported by those with the existing MightyMouse.

5. tiggle thread starter macrumors member

Interesting points. However, if the problem was the lack of data over BT, then how are other companies that have BT mice getting over it? Is there something intrinsically more "hungry" in the mighty mouse?
    Thanks.

6. Alasta macrumors regular

Alasta

Yes. I seem to recall another poster here some time ago explaining that the touch sensors in the Mighty Mouse need to constantly draw current. This seems to be a feasible theory, and would explain why the Mighty Mouse consumes more power than an ordinary bluetooth mouse.

I personally suspect that we will eventually see a bluetooth Mighty Mouse and, when it is released, it will be powered by a built-in lithium ion battery and will be supplied with a charging dock.

mdavey is right in pointing out that many people have experienced faults with the currently available Mighty Mouse, and it wouldn't surprise me if Apple were to release an updated version in the near future, which would be available in both USB and bluetooth variants.