BlueBerry Imac Still not running.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by DAVE2158, Dec 28, 2004.

1. DAVE2158 macrumors newbie

I realy need help here but first let me run down all that I 've done in four days with this Machine.
    **I have replace the Battery the in the unit it was dead.
    **I have disconnect everthing hard drive, ram, battery let Machine sit for 24 hours. nothing. I removed the Hard Drive installed it my Machine everything looks good Well lets change that to all the files are there. I can't boot to that drive, so I ran it as a slave. (saved my sisters files at lest.)

I have Install firmware upgrade 4.1.9 in the Startup folder of the systems folder. Replaced it Back in the iMac still nothing. Imac starts up but just a black screen I don't even hear the crt crackle with static discharge.
    **Now I am not sure about this but but can it be that the PMU was screwed up when OS X was installed or tryed to be installed without the firmware update.
    and it can't turn on the PAV and also that the PRAM screwed up.One thing I forgot to state is there are no startup chimes. I do here the harddrive spinning thats about it.
    *Is it possible to install OS 10.3.7 on this drive from inside my machine and then install it back in the Imac or is this thing dead in the water.
    *I have not reset the PRAM. Well that is it for now any help thanks. Wait I boot up My G-4 With this harddrive by itself I have a folder with a flashing Question Mark What does this mean. shut everthing down and Bootedup Install disc for my G-4 at this time I was able to see the hard drive it seems to me there are two Systems folders and the Firmware upgrade ids nowhere to bwe found. Can I reinstall OS 9 on this harddrive from my disk and will it work in the Imac.
    Note The Imac has 0S 9.0.4 install.

2. Norouzi macrumors 6502

What model G4 do you have and what version of 10 is on the iMac Hard Drive since if it is a lower version than what came on the G4 originally it won't boot.
    Here are a couple of sugestions to try as well. Can you boot the iMac into OS 9?

1. First thing to try is reseting the PRAM. If you don't know how to do this hold down Command, Option, P & R while starting up. Let it chime 3 or 4 times.
    2. Try reseting the PMU on the iMac. To do this find a small grey button on the logic board of the iMac. Press this once and wait 10 seconds before pluging in the power again. It would also not be a bad Idea to reset the PRAM after this as well.
    If this dosen't work let us know. At least we'll have eliminated a few factors.

3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

DO NOT RESET the PRAM at this point

you installed OSX on the iMac without updating the iMac's firmware first??? and now you've lost your video?? resetting the pram at this point will only make matters worse.....this is a well documented problem with upgrading older iMacs to OSX

when did you replace the battery? after you installed OSX?? if I remember replacing the battery will cause a pram reset unfortunately....so it may be too late already

the firmware update has to be installed when you are booted up from the HD in the iMac and you have to be running OS 9.1 or 9.2

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

oh, you said you can hear the hard drive after it boots up? what color is the power button light on the iMac after you try to boot up? is it green? does it stay on or does the machine turn itself off?

5. cfd macrumors member

Good call. If the light is still on, the unit is sleeping and pressing the button once more should wake it up.
    Question, after rebooting with the Firmware update in the startup folder, did you press the programmers button and get the long tone? If you didn't hear the long tone, the firmware update didn't take.

6. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Didn't realise the firmware had not been updated, sorry. Will the screen come on if you try booting into OS 9 or from a CD? If it does then the first thing to do is to update to OS 9.2.2 and then install the latest firmware, which will require downloading it from apple, you should be able to do all that via the software update.

7. DAVE2158 thread starter macrumors newbie

The bluberry is dead.

Hello,
    Well after trying all that was offer here and from other source I have given up nothing worked this blueberry is dead. I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you all about this. But that is the the story.
    Thanks again to all the Mac People out there yuo guys are the best.
    :) :)