BluePhoneElite: Change SMS storage location?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by netdog, Oct 15, 2006.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I want to store my SMS messages from my phone on an external drive rather than on the internal drive on my Mac. Help!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I assume it's writing to somewhere in ~/Library/Application Support? The bad news is that's probably hardcoded into the app. I can think of some fairly dirty ways to fix it by loading an input manager and overriding NSSearchPathForDirectoriesInDomains to return a different path for this application, but that's probably a bit much.

If your external drive always mounts at the same point (normally /Volumes/<drive name>) then you could just create a symbolic link from the apps preferred place to the correct point on the external drive and it should just work.

3. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

pardon my ignorance, but how do i create a symbolic link? thanks. sounds like it would work. i do know where it expects to find the files. would creating a symbolic link mean that the files that wind up on the external drive would also not be found on the internal?

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

A symbolic link is essentially another term for an alias.
    To make an alias: select whatever you want to make the alias point to, then move the new file to were it needs to be and change the name to match.

5. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

Thanks, I'll try that. Sounds like a great solution. Cheers!

PS: I will post here in 24 hours if I am still confused LOL