Bluescreen on OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by F/reW/re, Mar 2, 2003.

1. F/reW/re macrumors 6502

F/reW/re

Yesterday my iBook froze. I restarted by holding down the powerbutton.
    When the loadingbar finished the loading window dissapared and nothing happened. Instead of showing me the desktop, finder and the dock, the screen just stay's blue with the mouspointer.

I have tried to safe boot, but it doesen't work.
    If I hold down "alt" at startup and choose OS9 as startup it works fine so I guess it's have to be something wrong with OSX.

Do I really have to format and reinstall. I'm geting tired og all this OSX problems :(

btw, I got the first white iBook, 500MHz, 384 RAM, 10GB HD. 10.2.4.

2. zaphoyd macrumors regular

I had this problem too with an eMac. It seems like a problem in 10.2.4

It is also a problem specificly with gui os x, where it cannot do the login window properly. If you boot into single user mac os x (apple s at startup) then it works fine, but as soon as you logout of that bluescreenness. I reformatted reinstalled and that was okay. Then i stupidly installed 10.2.4 as it booted up lalala bluescreen!! im like nooooooo then it paused a few extra seconds on the blueness and nicely poped up the dock and desktop, and has worked fine since.

3. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

iBook Freeze...

I have the same iBook (dvd-rom), have you done Nortons' utilities Dik Doctor? if you do, afterwords defragment it and start it up, I went to discussions boards about a similar start-up issue and it was caused by start-up items in OSX or in OS9, I also purged OS9, i dont need it.
    Also check power management. ever since no issues. got rid of some bad fonts aswell

4. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

Did you "purge" OS9 by just dragging its system folder to the trash?

5. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

6. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

7. F/reW/re thread starter macrumors 6502

F/reW/re

I did drag the OS9 folder to the trash earlier that day bacuase I never use it and I needed some space.

Thanks for all the tips! I'll get back to you when I get home and have tried them out.
    Thanks again!

8. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

Deleting OS9...

in past disk repairs, I have gotten the message that too many start-up disks where present,
    I have manage to delete OS9 by simply dragging it to the trash, altough it worked on my iMac DV
    I had to install <repair permissions> to be able to delete it on my iBook , Apple support has that download, I find my system more agile after getting rid of OS9, in both my iBook and iMac, also check classic in OSX must be off, the power management must not be in conflict with screensaver effects, I also experienced problems with some 3D screensavers, I have deleted those and have had no more issues.

9. F/reW/re thread starter macrumors 6502

F/reW/re

I have tried evertything now, but I couldn't make it work so I just reinstalled, this time without OS9.

thanks anyway

10. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

I used to get this problem a while back when I was messing with Themes (you had to install the files manually back then) Could it be you've got an incompatible theme - maybe for an older version of OS X?

Sorry to hear you had to re-install, do you have OS X on its own partition?

11. F/reW/re thread starter macrumors 6502

F/reW/re

Haven't used any themes on this machine. Haven't used any programs at all to change the interface.

I had one HD with 2 partitions. One with OS9 and one with OSX.

12. andrewlandry macrumors member

I was having the same problem w/my dual-gig. Then I read on threads here that the 10.2.4 update was causing dual processor macs to become very unstable. Mine was also doing the blue screen at startup. It also started up in terminal with a bunch of error messages and a few other crazy things. And when I'd hold down option at startup, it wouldn't recognize my OS 9 system folder. I have since moved my user folder to a firewire drive, reinstalled 10.2.2 and I haven't had a problem since. I haven't heard any single processor people complaining about 10.2.4 yet, but your symptoms sound the same. It sucks, but I would try reinstalling 10.2.2 or 10.2.3 if you have it and if it's fine after that, then I'd wait until 10.2.5 or whatever comes out and other people have not reported a million problems.

Hmmm, actually I have had weird things happen to my iBook (which I sold to a friend a few weeks ago when I got my dual-gig).

His desktop background kept changing back to default at random times while he was using his computer. I just figured the computer was due for a reinstall anyway, since I left all of my apps on it when I gave it to him. But I never had any problems like that until I installed that damned 10.2.4.

So I don't know if that's it for sure, but that's the first thing I would suspect considering two of my computers that were fine began to be almost unusable after installing the update. Good luck.

Also, if you have access to another Mac w/enough hard drive space, you could put your Mac in target disk mode and drag all of your files into a folder there - especially your user folder in os x. When you drag it back to the users folder after the clean install, all of your preferences and such will be back to normal.

Sucks, huh. :(

13. F/reW/re thread starter macrumors 6502

F/reW/re

I had the problem with desktop pivture going back to basic. That was a bug in 10.2.3 where the Finder prefs was reset everytime I restarted my computer.
    I seem to get all the bugs that is possible to get :(

Lucky me, my iBook is just for surfing, chatting and divx so I dont have any backupissues :)