Bluetoooth 2.0 on all new iMac G5 models

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by SteveC, Apr 25, 2005.

1. SteveC macrumors 6502

ThinkSecret has reported that all new models of the iMac G5 will feature Bluetooth 2.0. :) Does that mean the computer will be ready to recognize Bluetooth devices right out of the box? i.e. Turn it on and Bluetooth is ready to go? And it'll be internal BT2, right? No USB plug-in gizmos or anything of that sort required?

2. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

It seems reasonable that bluetooth 2.0 will be a BTO option for new Macs. The PowerBook already has BT 2. I'm sure companies will start making BT 2 USB dongles for computers that don't have BT built in. I just bought an Apple BT mouse and it was brain-dead easy to set up. I've heard stories of BT devices not working when installing a new OS (aka Tiger). You have to plug in a USB mouse and keyboard and set everything up before the BT devices can be configured. I hope that changes.

3. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

But TS is saying all new models of the iMac G5 will feature Bluetooth 2.0. It's not listing it as a BTO option... ?

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well you also have to remember that TS is just providing rumors, no facts, so who knows what will happen, could be BTO or could be standard, which i doubt

5. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

So BT 2 will come installed as a standard feature? I hope that's the case. Some people might not use it but it's there if they decide to. I'm not a big fan of dongles and it's a waste of a USB port. I'm wondering what other features will be upgraded. I hope Apple uses better video card with more VRAM. I hear the 5200 blows.

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Why don't dongles just have a through-port so this issue doesn't arise? Surely it wouldn't cost more than a couple bucks to add.

BTW, what does BT2 add? Faster transfer, yeah, but isn't BT1.1 fast enough for a keyboard/mouse? And it won't ever be faster than g.

7. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

If Apple want to sell BT2 peripheries and have 3rd parties come on board then switching the whole of the line to it seems wise. I wouldn't be at all suprised if ever new model has BT2

I wonder if Apple has been holding back the rumoured pro mouse with more than one button to use BT2 and a Frickin Lazer, because BT1 doesn't handle the required data throughput... ;)

8. mpw Guest

BT2.0 I believe will be able to support full stereo wireless headphones and would speed up iSync too.