Bluetooth 2.0 Support OSX

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by xperton3, Feb 8, 2005.

1. xperton3 macrumors member

hey guys, i just bought a MS Bluetooth mouse thinking it woudl work on my G4 1ghz Ibook. I plug it in and nothing happens, my bluetooth icon just has the squiggly line through it. So i look at the dongle and it says Bluetooth 2.0......Just wondering if we will see this support any time soon in the future. thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The new PowerBooks have BT2.0 built in so I suppose that they are currently shipping with a non-standard version of OSX (this is quite normal). Once the next revision is release (10.3.8) I would expect to see BT 2.0 support for all Macs, although I cannot comment on support for your particular device.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Actually your issue is a device driver for the microsoft provided dongle. If you don't have blyetooth built in, you would need to get one of the Apple supported usb bluetooth dongles or you would need to get one that comes with drivers for Mac OS X.

Oh, btw a mouse doesn't need the speed of bluetooth 2.0.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You have a BT symbol with a squiggly through it? (not a dashed line)? Do you also have an internal BT adaptor, or just the dongle? I'm wondering if something fishy is happening when you try to use both BT adaptors at the same time?

5. xperton3 thread starter macrumors member

my bluetooth is external, its a dongle that came with the mouse. i guess ill have to wait for an update to the OS to see if its going to be supported....thanks guys

6. Bear macrumors G3

I'd return the mouse if you can. Or be prepared to by a bluetooth dongle that works with Mac OS X. (it depends on who actually made the microsoft dongle)

7. mpw Guest

Where are you plugging the dongle in?

The dongle that came with my MS BT mouse wouldn't work from the USB port on my external keyboard and was much slower to 'see' the mouse than the Belkin dongle fitted in either the keyboard or laptop port.

Belkin's dongle 'see' the mouse almost instantly and names it 'Microsoft Mouse' while the MS dongle took around 5secs. (or not at all from the keyboard) and only gave it a string of charaters as a name 'kjgh-sdlh-12fg-etc.'

8. xperton3 thread starter macrumors member

im plugging the dongle into the left side of my ibook where the USB ports are....what is weird is that i use my old USB dongle and it sees the mouse, but when i tell it to connect with the mouse it never connects.....u guys think the mouse is bad.....but again dont forget, this dongle says right on the bottom Bluetooth 2

9. xperton3 thread starter macrumors member

this is what it says in apple system profiler for what is attatched to the USB Port:

Wireless Radio for Bluetooth 2.0:

Vendor Name: Microsoft
    Product ID: 156 ($9c)
    Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
    Serial Number: 000D3AA2FDDD
    Bus Power (mA): 132

I hope this helps if anyone is trying to figure this out....

thanks guys

10. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I hope that you are turning the mouse off as you switch computers and bluetooth toogle. Because the mouse is pared up with the one toogle, it wont work with the second. At least that is a guess. Bluetooth 2 is backwardly compatiable with older Bluetooth devices. I suggest that you turn off the mouse, plug in the bluetooth toogle that you want, reboot the Mac, and then try paring the mouse again.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What do you get in the bluetooth prefs pane? Does it allow you to turn BT on there? Is your computer set to discoverable, or are you not able to access that setting because of the crossed out BT icon?

What Varmit said sounds like good advice, at least as something to try....

If you see the BT dongle in the system profiler, then apparently the system is willing to set it up / has a driver for it / etc....

As far as having a bad mouse...so your other dongle sees it, but refuses to pair it, or at least it refuses to work when you pair it. Hmmm...I guess it's a possibility. Can you try it on anyone's computer that you know has working internal BT? But it seems like an unlikely candidate for simplest explanation as long as you've got a crossed-out BT icon on your menu bar...you gotta get rid of that first.

12. xperton3 thread starter macrumors member

yeah its really weird, i did everything he said to try......i put my old BT1.0 dongle in and it sees me old mouse and works fine, The BT icon in the top menu has the three dashes through it, and my old mouse works. When i put the new Bluetooth dongle in, the dashes go away and it tells me there is no bluetooth dongle present. When i put the New mouse with the old BT Dongle, it sees the mouse but will refuse to pair with it. I am totally lost as to what to do next.....
    I read somewhere that BT2.0 will be supported in the next OS update, i guess i will wait until then and see if its a possibility.

Thanks again

13. mpw Guest

Not saying it's not worth trying but my MS BT mouse never seemed to care if I switched between computers or dongles. The mouse I have now is paired with my iMac at home goes in my pocket to work and is also paired to my Windows PC though the Belkin adapter from my old iBook. The MS dongle that cam e with the mouse is in a drawer. When I used my iBook I would sometimes swap the dongle from the USB port to plug in a camera or something and never had to reset anything when I plugged it back in.

I can only assume there's an issue with support for BT2.0 in your present OS.

14. xperton3 thread starter macrumors member

well i updated to 10.3.8 and still no luck, i guess apple isnt supporting BT2.0 in that software update.....or maybe MS BT2.0 Dongle is just not compatible with mac right now....who knows

15. Bear macrumors G3

You need a device driver for the Microsoft Bluetooth 2.0 adapter. Without it, OS X cannot talk to it. You may never see a device driver for it.