Bluetooth adaptor? Is it just a pain, compared to BTO?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by _pb_boi, Mar 2, 2004.

1. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Hey,

Guys, just wondering. I don't have the option to get Bluetooth BTO in an iBook - finally decided on it, rather than a pb 12in - I'm getting soon, so the only way I can go BT is to use the USB adaptor, so I can have a wireless keyboard and mouse while I'm at home, and my phone for (slow) internet when I'm stuck while out.

Has anybody used one? Do they find it convenient? I just can't imagine it being nearly as elegant and convenient at the built-in module, which isn't available to me since I'm picking the machine up in person at a store.

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

peace.

2. Bilba macrumors member

I would say that the major problem is that it takes up a precious usb slot.
    If you plan to use it once in a while, it is not that annoying. But, if you want to use the bluetooth mouse, I can see how you would want to buy in the future a USB hub, and then you would be annoyed by the "extra" hardware to log arround.

3. _pb_boi thread starter macrumors 6502

But if the mouse and keyboard are bluetooth, then the bluetooth adaptor takes up one slot, leaving the other free - so the hub wouldn't be too much of an issue, since if I needed an extra slot desperately, I could unplug the BT and use the regular keyboard and trackpad I spose.

Cheers for the info,

peace.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It's obviously nice to have the internal bluetooth especially since external takes up a USB slot (sometimes two if the dongle covers the other one!). And internally or externally it costs the same amount.

5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

the cost of the internal now is far better than the annoyance and similar cost later on.

6. Bilba macrumors member

True, that is why I said it depands on what you are going to connect to the laptop/how much do you plan on using the module. The same question can be asked about wireless.

In terms of function, I am quite sure you wouldnt see any difference between the Module and the build-in version.

7. brhmac macrumors regular

Not sure Bluetooth is the way to go

Just my 2 cents...

If I had it to do over again, I don't think I would have bought the internal Bluetooth module. There isn't that much out there that's Bluetooth -- and what is available is expensive.

The module is $50. The cheapest Bluetooth mouse I was able to find was Apple's for $69. Net price = $119 + tax. Ouch.

By contrast, a multi-button, scroll-wheel RF mouse, including the very small external adapter = $39.

Some on this board will defend Bluetooth. I have no strong feelings either way, but keep in mind that industry giant Intel has abandoned Bluetooth for other wireless standards. I understand that Intel isn't the industry, but look at the mice being built by Kensington, Microsoft, Logitech, etc. and you'll see more RF than Bluetooth.

One thing to keep in mind: www.macmice.com is rumored to have a Bluetooth mouse available on or about April 1. May be something to consider because the wired version is very close design-wise to the standard Apple mouse -- but with 2 buttons and a scroll-wheel.

Happy Shopping!

Attached Files:

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

In my experience, I've had more problems with the external dongle than the internal module. However, I didn't buy the D-Link one from Apple, nor did I get the Adaptec one. I bought an Ambi-Com, rather cheap, from CompUSA. So I expect you'd get a better experience with a more prominent brand. That being said, I would still prefer the built in module, as it leaves that one extra USB port open, and it's one less thing to lose.

9. applekid macrumors 68020

Here's a nice tiny one that I've heard works pretty well on the Mac and it's from Sony. And has an awesome blue glow.

Bluetooth Adapter

10. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

That one is $84 friggin dollars!! The internal BT is far cheaper.

11. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Get it BTO!!! I've got a D-link dongle. And after about 3 months it is dead. It worked sporadically and I would often have to replug it to get it to work. Usually it would go off during use and then a replug would get it working. I'm getting bluetooth BTO in all of my future macs. If you can get it BTO, please do so!!! It is a real pain with a dongle. Trust me.

12. _pb_boi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies!

Definately a real mixture of views, but that's cool - I'll take them all into consideration, for sure.

Much appreciated guys.

peace.

13. AdamZ macrumors regular

If I had it to do over again, I don't think I would have bought the internal Bluetooth module. There isn't that much out there that's Bluetooth -- and what is available is expensive.

What I wanted to mention was that if you own a Sony Ericsson or Nokia cell-phone with bluetooth, you can do so many things and interact with your Mac from your phone. Mine cost $100 and I paid for the only Shareware I have ever saw worth having, Sailing Clicker for $8. With this software you can control the mouse, itunes, DVD, Powerpoint and any other scriptable commands, from your phone. It also has proximaty sensors which will sense when you "arrive home",& start itunes. it will alsp pause DVD and iTunes when you get an incoming call, and restart after you hang up. Even in iChat, it will put my status as "away" when I leave the house, even sets my status as "on the phone" during a call! It can do really anything you program it to do if you. For example when I come home my imac senses my phone, says " Welcome Home Adam" and then speaks the name of the song, and then begins playing with visuals. & then puts the song information on my phone with total control of track and volume. Subsiquently, when I leave my house it will pause itunes shortly after the phone is out of range. There is nothing better than laying in bed and going from song to song. It also work with your address book to display incomming caller information and picture, which works nice. This is the only piece of shareware I have EVER purchased. It is available for free but you can only perform 30 clicks on the phone before you have to reconnect. But this is the main reason I WANTED bluetooth.

http://homepage.mac.com/jonassallin...e/Clicker/SEMC/

14. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

You can get a external D-Link adapter for 30 bucks, and it works great. I bought one a few weeks back, and i've had no problems.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Why can't you get a BTO iBook with BT? My wife just got one with it built in.

16. _pb_boi thread starter macrumors 6502

Guys,

Can't get BTO BT cos I'm buying retail, in person :)

1Macker1 - thanks for the info! Will check that out :)

AdamZ - I have a Sony Ericsson Z600 with built-in BT. I will DEFINATELY check out that peice of software. The possiblities seem endless! Really appreciate you bringing that to my attention, most likely would never have found it otherwise. Thanks!

peace.