bluetooth and address book issue... I'm foxed...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by doug.hall, May 9, 2006.

1. doug.hall macrumors regular

For someime now I've been donig my text messaging via addressbook and bluetooth. When it works its great however I've noticed that on some occations the functionality is greyed out and hence it is not avialable. I cannot for the life of me work out why the fuctionaliity would be present sometimes and not at other times. Anyone got any ideas cos it's been doing my head in for ages now.

Thanks...

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you have bluetooth switched off when you start Address Book it will remain greyed out until you restart Address Book with Bluetooth turned on. In my experience Address Book does not notice when you turn Bluetooth on.

3. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

You can do text messaging from Address Book via Bluetooth???

:eek:

Blimey! It works! :cool:

I love Apple.

SL

4. doug.hall thread starter macrumors regular

Bluetooth is always on. Just tried restarting everything but it is still greyed out. Any other sugggestions?

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Did you press the little Bluetooth button on top of the Address Book window...? That was all that I needed to do... :)

6. doug.hall thread starter macrumors regular

Yep. The blue button is pressed and it is highlighted in blue. I've turned off al other bluetooth apps and it's still not working? :confused:

Fixed it :)

What I did is create a new login account and test the bluetooth functionality in that account. This proved that the functionality worked and that is had to be a conflict or issue with my main login account. To resolve this I deleted all the cache for my main account and since then all has appeared fine - well the bluetooth works at the moement however I've no idea what damage I've done by deleting all my cache - hopeully nothing too serious.

7. jMc macrumors 6502

jMc

This has been one of my favourite features since at least Jaguar (can't remember if Bluetooth integration was available in 10.1). Sending and receiving SMS on my Mac is so much easier than fiddling around with a phone (even with predictive text). You can also initiate phone calls and get caller display info appear on screen if your phone's connected to Address Book.

My one annoyance is that sent SMS's aren't saved to your phone and occasionally one will go missing between Mac and phone...

jx