Bluetooth Cell Phone?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Phatpat, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2003
    Washington DC
    I know next to nothing about cell phones, but my parents figured it would be a good idea for me to get one for college.

I want one that I can use with my new powerbook. Optimally, it would have bluetooth capabilities and be able to sync contacts and calender stuff. It would be nice to use it to connect to the internet briefly to check email if necessary. I think cingular service is what I'm gonna get, but I guess that could change.

Thanks for your input.
  2. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Go with the SonyEricsson T610 or T616. Youl'l be really happy.
  3. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    This is my opinion only. But my personal opinion is that a cell phone needs to be a cell phone first and all the other stuff (i.e. pda, camera, etc) is secondary. For that reason, you need to determine which service has the best network in the places that you'll be. For instance, there's no use getting a digital-only phone when the places that you'll be are still on analog.

So the first thing you need to do is figure out where you'll be using the phone most. Probably all over campus, Parent's home, and stuff like that. Ask people around those areas how their cell signal is.

Then, after you've picked the service provider(s) that you're considering, take a look at the phones.

If you want Bluetooth capabilities, you'll probably want a GSM phone (they have a better selection of "gadget phones"). In the US, T-Mobile, AT&T, and Cingular all have GSM networks. CDMA is the other standard and that's what Verizon and SprintPCS uses.

Take a look at Howard Forums for some help in determining service and phones.

Hope this helps.
  4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

In difference to what LimeLite mentions, the T616 - the North American version of the T610, get's terrible reception and the screen is not easy to read in daylight. However, the reception is better than the T610 itself.

If you can wait, hang in there for the Sony/Ericsson Z600. Features of the T610, but better reception, TFT screen, and a clamshell w/o an enternal antenna.

Go here for some spy shots.

My epitome of a perfect phone.
  5. mrjamin macrumors 65816

Feb 6, 2003
    i have a Siemens S55 (bluetooth, java, gprs, camera) which does the job for me, works with a mac too. I can reccommend it.

Do you guys have 3G yet? (video mobiles etc). They have a lot of potential for working with computers - mobile broadband baby ;)
  6. Vector macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2002
    Are you speaking from personal experience because the reviews i havve seen rate the t616 pretty well (better than the t63 and slightly worse than the 800).

When is the z600 supposed to be out and how much is it going to be.
  7. vrapan macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2003
    Hi guys I don't know if I am in the right thread and please point me to the right direction if i am not. I recently got my T610 and given I have a Mac I use them together quite a bit. Now I have Bluetooth on all the time since I like getting and sending SMS on the screen of my PB but here is my problem: Leaving BT open all the time kinda drains the power. Now I know also that if you make a device not discoverable then it uses much less power althoug it still remains connected to devices it has been paired with.

the question is this : Do you set the discoverable option when you go connectivity>bluetooth>options>visibility and then you choose hide my phone?

If that is it then anyone with experience in how much battery it conserves compared to having it on Show my phone... Thanks a lot
  8. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

Update on the T616.

I am on again, off again interested in the T616 as it looks like a terrific phone. I just got back from talking to a fellow I know who is a phone nerd and works at a phone retailer. He's emparted some interesting things...

It has been recalled due to a battery fault causing a hissing after a few minutes of talking. They are re-releasing the T616 right now. Should be in the stores starting next week.

Vector, the reception is better in some cases, and worse in others. but for the most part, it has been found to be on par with the T68 - which isn't that good. Hopefully this can be corrected with a firmware update.

As for the Z600, well, it's purely rumor right now, and SE is due to rlease new phones next month. Meaning that the Z600 will be here in the States next spring.

Looks like I'm going to have to swallow my pride and buy the T616 regardless - at least it's cheap.