Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibilly

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2003
Boulder
Is it possible to chat (IM) over a bluetooth connection or a computer-computer airport network? I tried using the computer-computer and iChat's rendezvous connection but got nothing... do you have to have internet to connect to and wirelessly chat with another person?

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
if you could then you would have to be within 10 meters of them - and then would it not be better just to talk to them

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Try making an Ad Hoc network by clicking on the Airport icon & hit "Create Network". Try that out. I don't know if that is what you said you did, but I'm not sure it'll work because when you log on AIM it contacts the AIM server to see if the entered password is correct/etc.

Maybe try an alternative chat program. (Other than iChat)

Good Luck!

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
you do not need to be on the internet to use iChat.

You can use rendezvous.

If you have the AIM part activated and not on the internet with your network it will time out and tell you it could not connect.

As to using Bluetooth, If you are reffering to a Bluetooth network, I doubt it.

At first read I thought you were talking about using a Bluetooth headset with iChat but after re-reading it looks like you mean a bluetooth network.

You can do an Ad-Hoc computer to computer connection with Airport or connected to the same wifi network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.