Bluetooth compatibility

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iChan, Feb 12, 2003.

1. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

does anyone know if the Nokia 3650 is as compatible with a 12"PB as a Sonyericsson t68i is?

cheers!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The short answer is no, not by a long shot. It does not work with iSync. I does not work with the Address Book (so no typing SMS messages on your Mac). I'm not even sure it works as a Bluetooth modem!

Check out Apples support forums for more details.

3. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

as a matter a fact im pretty sure it works with most of those (except isync). It definetly works as a (bluetooth) modem as my 7650 works with mine and the 3650 and 7650 have the same os (nokia series-60 Symbian OS). I can send files to the mac from the phone like pictures and stuff but i still havent found a way for sending files the other way i use a pc for that.

Note : Go to my-symbian.com for lots of info.

You can get tons of stuff for the phone icluding doom and a gameboy emulator as well as a load of apps.

4. grimmace macrumors regular

peripheal

I just want to see other items made compatible with this product. I can care less about a phone. Let's see all other peripheals made for this technology. i could use a wireless zip/jazz for the new 17".

5. iChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

iChan

I don't know what kind of file you are transferring but Bluetooth only has a bandwidth of 1MB MAX. your going to be waiting a long time for things to transfer over to Jaz/Zip... upless it's 100MB zip... but that is old tech anyway... I douct they will make Bluetooth versions of those when firewire is so quick. Firewire is the best way to back up large files... not wireless. and Especially not Bluetooth.

6. grimmace macrumors regular

Well, i dont see the justification to install a bluetooth in every new computer for just a phone that very few probably even own. I see something else needed to be made for this product. Why pay for the installation? I dont need it, yet.

7. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

I think there are a lot of advantages to Bluetooth already:

Easy, wireless syncing for cellphones (the Sony Ericsson is just the start) and PDAs.

Wireless peripherals ... mice, keyboards, printers. No wires = huge design advantage.

Highly mobile Internet access for laptops and PDAs when Airport is impractical.

Small scale file storage and transfers (basically taking the place of USB keychain-type devidces.)

Basically, Bluetooth brings computers into the domain of wireless phones. I think it's biggest value is significantly upgrading the value of PDAs.

8. iChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

iChan

aksdj

It is not just for phone, you can hook up wireless mouse, keyboard, Pda.. it's going to make life a lot easier... and the Bluetooth does not add that much to the cost... within the next year or two, you will see a LOT more bluetooth devices coming out... you want to be prepared for the near future

9. TheT macrumors 6502

It does work as a modem, and it does work perfectly with adress book (so you are able to type SMS on your mac), that's right.
    Question: Are you able to send all your pictures at once, 'cause with my 3650, I am only able to send files one at a time... could it be my cheap bluetooth adapter?

10. Bear macrumors G3

Re: Bluetooth compatibility

I am not sure how compatible the 3650 is with the 7650, but the Knowledge Base Article describing the enhancements for 10.2.5 says ncludes Bluetooth support for Nokia 7650 and P800 phones. however it doesn't say if that includes stuff needed for iSync.

11. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

The best comparison I've heard for bluetooth, in the computer context, is USB. Anything you've got hooked up by USB now will soon be connected by bluetooth.

Europe, which seems to be about 2 generations ahead of us on cellphone tech, is much more connected with bluetooth. My friend told me he can buy food from vending machines without cash using bluetooth! Very cool.

12. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

PDA's

Has anyone out there tried to sync a PDA with their bluetooth powerbooks? I want to buy the Sony Clie with BT, but I'd hate to get home and see that it isn't compatible.