Bluetooth dongle and headset, Can I avoid D-link?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by PickledSquirrel, Aug 13, 2005.

1. PickledSquirrel macrumors regular

PickledSquirrel

Just got meself a headset for Skyping, but alas, my bluetooth dongle won't work with it. It's worked a treat for anything else I've tried...

Do I have to get a D-link dongle in order to use my bluetooth headset with my iMac? Or is there any way to make it work with my present one? (cheap noname thingy)

in the setup assistant, I can see the headset listed, but when I choose it, it says my hardware doesn't support it:(

thanx

-squirrel

2. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

I'm in the same boat having a dongle that doesn't work with a headset. I have the Dlink DBT 122. I was supposed to get the DBT 120 but the store didn't have those so I went with the 122. BAD IDEA - Although it works for keyboard and mouse I cannot update the firmware. Apparently the chipsets inside are made by a different manufacturer that is unsupported by Apple updaters.

The only one to get for a Mac is the DBT 120. I would suggest going to an Applestore with your headset and ask one of the staff to plug in a 120 to a Mac with no internal built in bluetooth to see if the headset does work.

If you end up making it work - plz post back / PM me so I can get one as well.

aussie_geek

3. PickledSquirrel thread starter macrumors regular

PickledSquirrel

I've been reading around the skype forums, and have ordered a DBT-120.
    I'll let you know how it goes

*fingers crossed*

-Squirrel

4. belvdr macrumors 601

Good luck. I have a Linksys USB BT module, and OS X refuses to use it for a headset either.

Let us know how it goes.

5. mpw Guest

That'll be another 'standard' that's not standard then. :rolleyes: I only use BT for iSync/mouse and I've used the D-Link 120 / Belkin / MS / internal of the four none needed any software and all worked fine the only real difference was the MS had to be in the iBook USB not in the keyboard and the D-Link always felt like it was a sloppy fit in the USB port and ebentually fell apart.

6. PickledSquirrel thread starter macrumors regular

PickledSquirrel

Got the DBT-120, plugged it in, updated bluetooth firmware, paired my headset and skyped away madly:D Only drawback is that when I leave the room, sound quality drops quite a bit... Was hoping to be able to use it in the entire flat.

-Squirrel