Bluetooth Dongles - Will the all work as well as D-Link?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by FunBoy50, Oct 9, 2006.

1. FunBoy50 macrumors newbie

Hi!

I'm looking for some quick advise before i buy a bluetooth dongle for my PowerMac.

On the Apple site it has the D-Link dongle, going for £35.

3 seconds on Google reveals a variety of other bluetooth dongles for around £15, such as http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/1412.htm

Will any bluetooth dongle work with iSync and have full mac integration, or is the D-Link one the only supported option?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance :)

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

As I recall, there were a lot of problems with non D-Link adapters. I have used the D-Link on an old iMac and my iBook and it works like a charm.

3. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

I've had no probs with a couple of belkin bluetooth dongles... stated as for OS X 10.3+ try amazon.co.uk, search for belkin bluetooth for a few options. From £6.49 it's worth a punt, eh?

4. The General macrumors 601

As far as I know, there are only two bluetooth chipsets, and they are both supported by Mac OS X, Windows and Linux, so any bluetooth dongle will work with any OS.:)

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I'd recommend sticking with D-Link, but Apple overcharges a little. You *should* be able to find it for at least £5 less (I know in the US you can easily get it $10 cheaper than Apple's price).

However, a generic adapter *should* work. It just might not work very well. They're cheap for a reason!

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I have two bluetooth dongles. One is a D-Link (on my Power Mac at work) and the other is a generic one (on my Power Mac at home). The D-Link never fails. It works 100% of the time and is the only dongle that will allow BT peripherals to wake the computer from sleep, as you have to "flash" it to become Mac-only. The generic one works well, but sometimes I need to unplug and plug it back in to get it to be recognized. It just gets "lost" sometimes for some reason. In addition, I cannot use this generic one to wake up the computer.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Never had any problems with my Billionton dongle...

[​IMG]

...cheapest Bluetooth adapter I could find and it worked nicely with my iBook, and I've also lend it to a few people with other Macs, and it worked nicely with those, too...

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I've never had any problems with my Belkin Dongle – worked straight out of the box and performs fine with our BT keyboard and phones.

9. cschreppel macrumors regular

A buddy of mine uses the D-Link one with his TiBook for his Apple Mouse and Keyboard...works like a charm.

Have you guys had any problems having the dongle plugged in via a USB hub?

10. mpw Guest

My D-Link and Belkin used to work fine from a hub but I found the D-Link needed to be plugged directly to my iBook to pair and my MS dongle would never work from a non-powered hub and was the worst of the lot in general.

The Belkin was the best as the D-Link while tiny fell apart.

11. cschreppel macrumors regular

Hmm, just what I thought. Good to know. I've got built in Bluetooth now, but it's definitely nice to know that in case my parents (who have my old TiBook) want to go wireless.