Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
Is this normal?!
I leave my imac on sleep whenever i am not using it and does that wear down the battery at all?
I just replaced the mouse battery yesterday and it is already down to 4 bars!
I can't actually afford to keep replacing the batteries at this rate and i am considering selling it to get a wired Mouse. The wireless keyboard is doing fine and has only gone down to 4 bars and stayed there since i have had my imac (December).
Any feedback would be appreciated and since packs of batteries are like £8 it is going to cost a lot ot keep it working at this rate and also replacing the batteries is a pain, i have to wait for minutes for the mouse to reconnect properly.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Switch off the mouse and keyboard when you are not using them. Buy rechargable batteries. Will cost more up front, but save you loads on the longer term...

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
im the same way. i keep having to replace the mouse batteries like, twice every month... and my keyboard has been going for almost 6 months on the same set of stock batteries.

I think it might be best to switch to rechargeable batteries

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
Fredstar said:
Is this normal?!
I leave my imac on sleep whenever i am not using it and does that wear down the battery at all?
I just replaced the mouse battery yesterday and it is already down to 4 bars!
I can't actually afford to keep replacing the batteries at this rate and i am considering selling it to get a wired Mouse. The wireless keyboard is doing fine and has only gone down to 4 bars and stayed there since i have had my imac (December).
Any feedback would be appreciated and since packs of batteries are like £8 it is going to cost a lot ot keep it working at this rate and also replacing the batteries is a pain, i have to wait for minutes for the mouse to reconnect properly.
No it's not normal. My BT mouse needs new batteries every 3 - 4 months. There was a thread about this a while ago. It should still be under warranty so send it back to Apple and ask for a replacement. If you leave it switched on and the iMac sleeps the mouse goes into a very low power mode.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
I guess you switch it off by closing the flap?
anyone else find it impossible to slide the flap without clicking the mouse and waking up the computer?
And then it takes a long time to sync with the computer

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
Nickygoat said:
No it's not normal. My BT mouse needs new batteries every 3 - 4 months. There was a thread about this a while ago. It should still be under warranty so send it back to Apple and ask for a replacement. If you leave it switched on and the iMac sleeps the mouse goes into a very low power mode.

Mine does the same thing, runs out of batteries very quickly even though I turn it off between uses or when I put the computer to sleep. I thought it was just the way it worked.

Can you point me to the thread about wireless mouse batteries dying quicky that you are talking about? I searched MR and even googled but to no avail. I would really like to send it back and get it replaced if it is in fact a faulty product.

Thanks!

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
I would also like to see this thread, i can't find it.
I just chatted to the online agent and he didn't seem too bothered and just said the mouse is expected to use up more battery than the keyboard.
I might look into investing in rechargeable batteries but like i said it is so annoying when i change the batteries and i have to wait such a long time for it to sync back with my imac.
Or i might just get a wired mouse, it is not as if i really need a wireless mouse just thought it would look kewl as it does.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
Fredstar said:
I guess you switch it off by closing the flap?
anyone else find it impossible to slide the flap without clicking the mouse and waking up the computer?
And then it takes a long time to sync with the computer
Yes you close it by moving the flap. No I haven't been able to turn it off without waking the computer.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
Sorry I couldn't find the thread either. Looking at Apples discussion boards it seems that those with battery problems are using their mice a lot. I use keyboard shortcuts a lot so maybe that helps. Do you have the latest software and hardware upgrades? Using decent batteries helps too :). One other thing that cropped up was people using the mouse on dark surfaces seemed to have lower battery life than those using lighter colours. I have no idea how this would make a difference - something to do with reflections from the laser - but it's worth a try. Take the mouse to the Regent Street store, explain whats happening and ask them to look at it/ swap it. Sorry I can't be of more help - hope you get it sorted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.