Bluetooth Headseat pairing help please

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thumb, Feb 21, 2006.

1. thumb macrumors 6502

Greetings all,

I cannot get my Plantronics 510 BT headset to pair with my Mac (Ti Powerbook .867Ghz, OSX10.4.5). I use the D-Link 120 dongle. (I also have the 3com PCMCIA bluetooth card that I could use, with the same problem)

When I do try to pair them, the installer tells me that my bluetooth hardware does not support headsets. That is it, no other options.

I want to use the headset with skype.

I would really appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

You need the Bluetooth Firmware Updater 1.2 from the Apple Bluetooth page, listed under Software Updates

You may actually have the Firmware updater already if you've used Software Update, and it'll be sitting in your Apps > Utilities folder.

The D-Link needs the firmware update to support headsets. Updating will however (apparently) render the dongle unusable on PCs.

Do NOT use the update on any other dongle/card. According to Apple the D-Link is the ONLY non-Apple way to get headset support, which is not entirely true because my Akuma one does it, but possibly generally so.

3. sonicj macrumors member

sonicj

why would one want to use a bluetooth headset with a mac?

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Wireless audio chats via Skype or iChat! I do it all the time, it's truly wonderful.

5. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

In my case because i have a Mini which has no mic input and i have bluetooth anyway (for my mouse) so why use up a usb port with a usb headset?
    And you get to walk (100m) and talk, which personally i find quite pleasant whilst engaging in long (Skype) calls.

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

7. thumb thread starter macrumors 6502

That is precisely the one I have and started this thread with, also with the e815.

As of yet, no luck pairing it. I already had installed the 1.2 firmware. I will try it again when I get home, but if anyone has other suggestions or similar problems, please let me know.

Cheers,

Thumb

8. motherduce macrumors 6502

I just bought the Motorola H700 for use with my blackberry at work. My iMac sees it, but it is not a steady signal, so I can't use it. It is almost like I'm constantly opening and closing the boom when I am in the bluetooth control panel on my mac.

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Is it possible the headset is paired with another device already? Most (some?) headsets can pair with only one device, and if you have it paired with a phone, you may have to delete that pairing and pair separately with your computer.

10. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

The error message about the hardware not supporting headsets make me think it's not a pairing issue. Altho - do "headsets" come up as an option in the list of devices when you do "Set up Bluetooth device.."? Because I don't think they were even on the list before I did the Firmware Update.
    I presume you also have the current Bluetooth modules installed - 1.54 (i think)

Does the dongle (the D-Link DBT-120) show up in System Profiler (under USB)? Do you have any other devices working with it?

Have you tried it on a different port?

Stupid question, but you are setting the headset into "discoverable" mode before/during the pairing (normally this will also wipe any previous pairings)?

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

maybe the headset is broken from a manufacture issues....
    but how do u like it if it works... is it comfortable to wear

12. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Attached Files:

13. thumb thread starter macrumors 6502

Greetings all,

I re-download the BT installer 1.2, ran it, restarted everything, and it paired and worked well, used with skype.

Later same day, Headseat no longer works. I have re-paired it, no luck.

It is recognized and so forth, but it will only connect for a few seconds, beep a bit, and then disconnect.

Any thoughts?

14. motherduce macrumors 6502

This is what mine is doing as well.

15. motherduce macrumors 6502

bumping this - mine still doesn't work - any ideas?

16. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

generally the connection to a headset is only maintained (presumably to save power) when it's needed, like when you're calling someone, or receiving a call, or in the Audio Input Prefs pane. otherwise it disconnects. Which can be a pain if you have a headset like mine with an extremely poor memory for pairing so that it forgets it's paired if it's disconnected for too long (ok for calling out, if annoying, not good for incoming calls).

I've used others that don't seem to have the problem tho, so i think it's down to finding a "good" (usually means expensive) headset.

17. motherduce macrumors 6502

I have the H700 - one of the newest ones. It still cuts in and out. I think it has to do with the way it is in standby. I don't think I can turn that off.

18. motherduce macrumors 6502