bluetooth headset with skype...?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by whyrichard, Oct 5, 2006.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

does anyone know how to use a bluetooth headset with skype?

is it even possible?

i am using skype beta w/video....

thanks,
    r.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yes, I use a Motorola BT headset, don't remember the model number exactly. Do a search through the forums for the kind of headsets that people use. But OS X recognizes the device as an input and output (after you link the headset using the BT setup assistant). After that you can tell Skype to use the input/output as the headset. It works pretty good, and I talk to my parents in California from England. Very convenient.

3. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

No problems at all.

I use a Jabra JX10.

I don't know about the quality, because I can't compare it to a different headset, but it suits my PB very well.

4. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I got Motorola H500 BT headset for half price, and intended to use it with Skype.

Is there some magic I should know to make BT headsets work? :eek:

I'm about to pay postage to send the thing back to Amazon--it's been VERY poor:

* OS X won't pair with it reliably, and it when it DOES pair, it won't actually use it for audio half the time.

* Skype drops calls enough as it is... but with the headset it's even less reliable. One call will have no audio, or in only one direction, and the next will be fine. Nobody likes when I call them and they get only silence from me.

* People I call report a soft but very annoying mosquito whine when I use the BT headset.

* The headset itself, even freshly charged, sometimes freezes and stops responding to all buttons. It won't even turn on--until I plug the charger in for even half a second to jump start it.

I love the idea, but only if it works. My impression is that Bluetooth headsets, like Skype itself, are Russian Roulette: it might be fine, it might be a nightmare.

Talk me out of returning this thing :) Can I make it reliable and whine-free? The H500 got reviews about as good as anything else--and $35 on sale from $70!

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I would say you got jacked. Cause I have a Motorola headset that I got for £20 ($35) and it works great with Skype. I call home to California (from England) and it sounds great and works great. Sure the speaker could be a little better, but it's about as good as a telephone.

Send it back and perhaps say it is defective because it shouldn't be like it is for you.

6. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I will call the manufacturer and talk to support before I decide. Still, even if it's just defective, I have to risk a second round of postage to get a new one and find that out. Might not be worth the risk, especially if OS X Bluetooth flakiness, and Skype bugs, are part of the problem. (And the latter I'm pretty sure of.)

What Moto model did you have, BTW?