Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c460053

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
Right behind you.
My father's hearing aid has the "feature" of pairing with a device that ties him into the theater system in the movie room.

Unfortunately, every time he gets even sorta close to the Mac Mini it automatically pairs to his HA. This is WITHOUT the separate device being on his person, so I think it's his HA proper. He doesn't actually hear the Mac's output, but the Mac switches the audio to his device when he's in range.

Annoying, to say the least. No audio through the speakers attached to the Mini after he walks by.

Tried to delete/disconnect the device (Streamer 1.4) but it keeps popping back into the menu.

All I want is to keep the Streamer 1.4 from connecting on the Mini. A ban, block, or whatever.

I know this should be an easy fix, and I'm sure I'm missing something simple. I just can't get my head around this one.

Not my Mac. Not my HA. Not sure what's been tried in the past.

Help!

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
I assume you're talking about the Oticon Streamer. Wonderful little device. According to the docs, you can reset the BT pairing on the device by power button and volume up button together for 3 seconds. After that time, I'd suspect the blue light will probably start blinking on it.

That and makes sure the headset is no longer on the Mac's BT pairing list. Hopefully that will make the devices forget about one another.

The Sound control panel should also have a selection for the preferred audio device. It's possible the Bluetooth one is marked as preferred.

SimonH24

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
Soooo glad I did not upgrade to iPhone 7 from my iPhone 6. Do NOT get an iPhone 7 if you use Oticon Streamer. There is a serious BlueTooth compatibility issue between IOS 10 and Oticon Streamer. If you get your Streamer to pair soundly with the iPhone you cannot get sound from other functions such as iPlayer into your ears via BT. You have to use the phono lead instead that comes with the Streamer. This is a workaround you cannot adopt if you have an iPhone 7 because it has no jack socket. The Oticon Streamer is a fantastic experience because, as a hearing aid user, you can go truly hands free (or you could if the Apple engineers talked to the Oticon engineers and sorted out the BT issues) and you can control ambient sounds reaching into your ears during a Streamer connected phone call. Without Streamer you are always taking out your hearing aid to take a call on your iPhone. If only the Streamer worked properly with Apple for Bluetooth mediated sounds:-( see also https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7532553?start=30&tstart=0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.