Bluetooth in Powermac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by berkleeboy210, Jul 27, 2005.

1. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Ok, so I have a Powermac on the way, and will eventually add bluetooth to it.

Are there any modules that I can buy that will go inside the machine, or are they all connected via USB?

All Help is Appreciated.

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'm almost positive you have to have the bluetooth installed when you buy the computer. Otherwise you'll have to use a USB dongle. Officially, Apple only supports the D-Link model, although plenty of brands will "work."

3. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

4. ja0912 macrumors member

I bought the internal module online from a small mac retailer for $59. Came with the screws and the little antenna you plug in the back.

I didn't mention the name of the company (just search around) because I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't allow this. It states clearly on the small retailers site that it must be installed by an Authorized Technician, but it was painfully easy to do myself.

5. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Would you PM me the name? I'm in the same boat, as I didn't BTO mine.

6. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

You could always get a PCI USB expansion card that has some internal ports and connect a Bluetooth dongle to the inside of the PowerMac.

7. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Do you guys know if you can BTO a new powermac with bluetooth, uninstall it and put it into another powermac? I'm curious because I might try and talk my boss into letting me add bluetooth to one on the next purchases and just pay the additional cost.

8. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

You are correct. Bluetooth is not an option that can be added by the user after the fact, at least not internally. He could get a Bluetooth dongle (USB) or something like that, though.

9. ja0912 macrumors member

I don't see why not. It would unscrew with two screws, and then you just detach the little antenna wire.

and of course attach it your antenna wire and screw it in. all done :)

at least not internally...with Apple's consent.

If you can get your hands on an internal module, it's basically as easy as adding ram.

10. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

Yea, after posting, I read the rest of the thread and realized that I should have probably read the entire thread before responding. :eek: :rolleyes:

11. powerboy macrumors regular

I was at an Apple Store today and they said they would install bluetooth for $50 (includes installation). They said I just needed to bring my Powermac in and leave it for about a day.

12. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Are you serious? Because if you are... looks like I'll be spending $50. :p

13. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Apple used to say that the bluetooth module/chip had to be soldered directly to the motherboard, and therefore you can't install it internally afterwards. They probably have gone to screws now, but don't know for sure.