Bluetooth Internet Sharing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by storage, Feb 8, 2007.

1. storage macrumors 6502

I'd like to share my Mac's Internet connection with devices like cellphones, PDA's etc via Bluetooth, but I just can't figure out how to do it.

It can't be done through the Internet sharing settings in Mac OS X, and everything I've found on Google is either for Panther (I use Tiger) or doesn't work at all.

I've even tried setting up a Bluetooth access point in Fusion and Parallels. But Parallels won't allow me to access the Bluetooth adapter in the iMac, and Fusion won't let me set it up properly for some reason.

So, does anyone know how to do setup a Bluetooth access point in Mac OS X 10.4.x?

Thanks in advance!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I think you're approaching the problem from the wrong angle. First, get your phone paired with your Mac. Once that's done, go into System Preferences, click Network, and rearrange the order it tries to connect to things so that Bluetooth is on the top. The option is in one of the tabs but I don't remember which one.

3. storage thread starter macrumors 6502

I just realized I was extremely unclear with what I wanted to do. I actually would like to share my Mac's connection with cellphones and the like.

Sorry about that. :( :eek:

4. storage thread starter macrumors 6502

Hasn't anybody done this? I'd love for him or her to help me out a little bit :).

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you saying that you want to share the Mac's access to the public internet via bluetooth to the handheld device, e.g. when they are not in range of cellular service? Are you sure the handheld even supports that? It's commonly done in the other direction with Bluetooth, but I've never heard of it being done in the direction you suggest, on OS X or any other platform.

Now via WiFi you can share very easily, assuming your handheld does WiFi. But BT I've never heard of....

If you can post a link for someone doing this with any other hardware / operating system, it might help....

6. storage thread starter macrumors 6502

That's exactly what I'm saying :). Now that you asked if the device supports it, I'm not so sure it does anymore. I'll have to look into that :(.

Here are some links though;
    http://howto.helpero.com/howto/Share-The-Internet-Connection-With-a-Nokia-6600_18.html
    http://ruk.ca/w/index.php/Sharing_an_OS_X_Internet_Connection_with_a_Series_60_Phone
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20021103062212288&query=bluetooth+internet+sharing

Thanks for your reply :)

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, that definitely helps. So this basic method to setup is feasible as long as something like gnubox exists for your device. But you'll want to figure that out first.