Bluetooth iPod

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Silver Bullet, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Silver Bullet macrumors newbie

Jul 7, 2004
    Does anyone know if Apple will produce a Bluetooth ipod?
  2. unixkid macrumors member

Jan 25, 2004

no. bluetooth its to slowww.... but the new wireless firewire i can almost guaranty will be in the next ipod. if not it will be in some kind on new dock.
  3. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Apr 11, 2002
    Personally, I think bluetooth should be incorporated, think of all the possibilities that would being in as far as peripherals go....I'd love to type notes directly into my ipod via a folding mini bluetooth keyboard.
  4. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    United States
    How exactly does wireless firewire work? Would I need an adapter for my PB?

5. m.r.m. macrumors regular

Oct 25, 2003
    is it possible to use the airport express technology for wireless headphones for the ipod? would that become to large? would it consume too much power?
  6. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
  7. Silver Bullet thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 7, 2004
  8. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Aug 20, 2003
    Long Beach, California
    It would be really cool to use my Apple Wireless Keyboard with an iPod. It would modernize the way I take notes at school. Sure, I could bring in my PDA and have to buy a keyboard that I wouldn't like typing on, but I already have a keyboard, and could get another iPod. Also, the general use of a PDA would not be needed anymore if Apple did this. Please do this Apple.
  9. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

I think this would be a great idea:

Wireless remote
    Wireless keyboard
    Wireless headphones
    Wireless output to blutooth enabled stereo
    Wireless output to blutooth enabled car stereo

having said that I do think that the wireless firewire would be far more suitable for the last three and would be essential for wireless file transfer of any significant size.
  10. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    What I thought of was that it would be good if the volume on my ipod went down when my T610 started ringing. Or maybe even a voice that says 'Your phone's ringing' or 'You've just got a text'. The T610 has bluetooth so perhaps it's possible?
  11. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    the wireless remote is a good idea. however, right now with the current bluetooth it isn't up to par to send good quality stereo should to any device. have you ever tried using a bluetooth hands free thing on your mac? it sucks! bluetooth in full-deplex voice is only rated at 64kbps remember bits not bytes. an average mp3 is encoded at 128kbps. a crappy one is 96kps. in half-duplex bluetooth can hit around 723 or 721 kbps, but that is only for data. 16 bit stereo,cd-audio, is 1408 kbps.
  12. JFreak macrumors 68040

Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    yep, that would be the only practical use for bluetooth in ipod.

what if some day the regular ipods inherit controls from mini so that all buttons are within the wheel, and then the wheel part would be detachable? that would be cool...
  13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Sweetness...this kinda flew in under the radar! iPod aside, anyone know if MacOS supports the A2DP standard so that the headphones can be used with an iBook or PB without the dongle?
  14. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd love to have high quality wireless ear bud headphones... but I think we're still a few years away from that one :p