Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tombiscuit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2015
UK
I've got a Bluetooth Magic Mouse and use it witha retina 15in MBP.

Like many, many people I get the disconnection thing happening around twice an hour.

I've tried all the fixes -- everything from tin foil in the battery compartment, to PM reset etc. New batteries. Strong batteries. Nothing's fixed it.

So, what's the current state of wisdom on this? Is there a fix? From looking at the signal level (hold down Option and click the bluetooth icon on the menu bar) that the signal fluctuates between -50 -60 dBm, which it seems isn't strong enough. The wireless Apple Keyboard I have seems to have a steady -47 dBm and has never disconnected.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I had the problem when I first upgraded to Yosemite
I found this on another Forum and I have no idea what it does or how it works
But I ran this in Terminal and it fixed my problem

sudo kextunload -b com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport
sudo kextload -b com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport

May do nothing for you, but worth a shot

Reactions: tombiscuit

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
I've got a Bluetooth Magic Mouse and use it witha retina 15in MBP.

Like many, many people I get the disconnection thing happening around twice an hour.

I've tried all the fixes -- everything from tin foil in the battery compartment, to PM reset etc. New batteries. Strong batteries. Nothing's fixed it.

So, what's the current state of wisdom on this? Is there a fix? From looking at the signal level (hold down Option and click the bluetooth icon on the menu bar) that the signal fluctuates between -50 -60 dBm, which it seems isn't strong enough. The wireless Apple Keyboard I have seems to have a steady -47 dBm and has never disconnected.

I had exactly the same problem, and after trying everything I could, I contacted Apple and they sent a box for me to return my old one, which they then replaced. It's also worth noting that some more reliable wireless mouses (that use a USB port) sell for about £12 on Amazon.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I think the problem is in the Wi-Fi radio, esp. if you connect to 2.4GHz access point. If I connect to a 5GHz AP, I have never connection problems with BT mouse or keyboard. To begin with, try if turning off WiFi will make any difference.

tombiscuit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2015
UK
I think the problem is in the Wi-Fi radio, esp. if you connect to 2.4GHz access point. If I connect to a 5GHz AP, I have never connection problems with BT mouse or keyboard. To begin with, try if turning off WiFi will make any difference.

I'll certainly have a play around. Thanks!

I've not timed it but the interruptions do appear to be periodic, and I've often wondered if it was some device somewhere periodically polling for a connection or sending out a stay-alive signal.

EDIT: Yes! This seems to work! I'll report back when I've more info but the signal strength is much better if the Wi-Fi connection is 5GHz and not 2.4!

Last edited:

tombiscuit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2015
UK
I can confirm that priitv8 is bang on the money. I turned off 2.4GHz on my router, switching to 5GHz, and I've not had a single disconnect problem. I blogged about it although can't post the link here because I'll be accused of advertising and banned. But it should be obvious how to find it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.