bluetooth mice with tiger 10.4.1

Discussion in 'macOS' started by darves, Jun 18, 2005.

1. darves macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have tried several bluetooth mice with my 15" 1.67 Powerook running 10.4.1: the Kensington Pilot mous, Kensington Pocket mouse, Logitech mx900, and the Maccally mini BT mouse. Basically, all of the mice but the latter cause the computer to crash when it is put to sleep (I would use the Maccally but it is too small). It seems that the System UI server hangs when it awakes from sleep, or something along those lines, forcing a hard reboot. When I put the laptop to sleep, the computer wakes up about 3 seconds later and becomes unresponsive. This has been a problem with several different brands of BT mice, so I am guessing it's an issues with 10.4.x. Unchecking the box "allow Bluetooth devices to wake up computer" seems to fix the problem, but this makes it difficult to restart my mac when it is asleep with the lid closed and connected to a monitor. Anybody know any workarounds to this issue?

Thanks!

2. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

Very Odd I have Mac's own Bluetooth mouse and have none of these problems. (Need a bluetooth mouse as we get only 2 USB 2's :rolleyes: ). Apart from the computer can be slow to wake at times.

IF your computer works fine and wakes normally from using the trackpad it would suggest hardware incompatibility.

Also try a few normal mice with cords, do these cause a freeze as well?

Any other bluetooth devices on the system OR software that is listening for bluetooth connections like PocketMAC?

Try all the usual checking permissions , try playing with the energy saver settings like processir performance, trying the maufacturers sites for Tiger software and drivers and maybe think about a clean install of Tiger as a last resort.

3. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

My 12" PB with Tiger 10.4.1 is paired with Logitech MX900 BT (natively paired using PB's internal BT 2.0) and I have no problem using that BT mouse to wake my PB. I have this 12" PB almost half a year and my PB has not experienced a crash with the mouse.

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I've got Microsoft's Bluetooth Intellimouse (the original one, not the more recent release). It works fine with my 1.25GHz 15" Al PB running 10.4.1 - I sleep this laptop at least once a day, and have not seen any mouse-related issues.

Edit: You don't mention this, but I'm assuming you're also using a BT keyboard (given that you say you can't wake the computer up when you uncheck the "allow BT devices..." box)? Because if you're not, you can of course wake it up by hitting any key on the keyboard. But if you ARE using a BT keyboard, how do you know the problem is the mouse?

5. darves thread starter macrumors newbie

bt mice

Hi all, Thanks for the input. I have tried disconnecting my BT keyboard (mac) and that doesn't seem to help, thus I have determined it to be a problem with the mouse. Also, hen certain mice are used, e.g. the Apple BT mouse, therer is no problem with the sleep. I have tried the second generation Microsoft bt mouse, so maybe the first would work ok it sounds like?

Thanks again