Bluetooth Mice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by stevietheb, Jan 21, 2004.

1. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Howdy all...

As you can see from my signature, I'm the proud owner of a new iBook (currently in transit), and many of you were integral in my purchase decision-making.

I've never been a fan of trackpads (I'm a trackball sort of guy), so I'm thinking I'd like to get a bluetooth mouse. However, I'm having trouble finding a good selection. Right now, my base model is the Belkin one that is available for $99.99 from their website (according to dealmac.com there is a coupon code you can use to get 1/2 off...so $50). However, I'd like to get a mini-mouse if there is one, so that it will REALLY travel easily.

Does anyone know of some good models (or if ANY bluetooth mini-mice exist)? I'd like to go no higher than the $50 Belkin, and I'm not really interested in a keyboard, but if there is a decent keyboard-mouse bundle for $60 or so, I might look into that.

Thanks as always!

2. flahiker macrumors member

3. simon1 macrumors newbie

I was going to ask a similar question stevietheb.
    I am waiting for my powerbook to be delivered (under 2 wks time). Live in the UK, so does anyone from the UK have any idea what bluetooth mice are available? Any good or are the usb type better value for money.

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Looking at the dimensions - that Bluetake mouse looks just as big as my MS Bluetooth mouse, or the Logitech, or any of the others.

There don't seem to be any small ones. It could be a limitation due to having to allow room for batteries, the BT antenna, or the circuitry needed.

5. flahiker macrumors member

What I like about that mouse is that it does not need a base like the logictec or belkin, and it has an on/off switch. That makes it great for travel.

Also the parent company of bluetake is thermaltake. They are well known in the PC mod world.

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

http://www.mobiledatadirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=922

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I feel like I have too many replies in this topic... :)

[​IMG]

9. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Exactly what I'm looking for...just gotta find a way to buy it without the USB adapter

10. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Hahaha! Nice photo! Only question is: What mouse is that? ? It doesn't look like Logitech's BT mouse. The only one it resembles at all is one of their older cord mice, with the cord edited out. Here's a photo of the MX 900:

[​IMG]

Okay, my MS Bluetooth mouse is 12cm x 7cm x 4cm. The Bluetake is 8.5cm x 5.0cm x 3.2cm.

11. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I don't really care if it comes with the USB dongle or not as long as it's only 50 dollars (or very close to), but I'm not going to spend 100 dallors on a stinkin' mouse!

12. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I don't know what mouse it is. I found the picture in this article:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2102

I will only buy it if it's about $50 or so though. I e-mailed buypcdirect and they said they should be getting some more... but that's all they told me... so hopefully... they only got 50 initially... :( I don't care who makes the Bluetooth mouse... I just don't want to have to buy a dongle/adapter because there's no need for it...

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

you think you would need the adapter? my MS bluetooth mouse came with an adapter, but works without one if the computer has BT built in.

14. HenrikDK macrumors newbie

MacMice to launch BT version of "The Mouse" late March

DK - 6330 Padborg, January 23, 2004 / hek

Here's som "insider" news regarding a 2-button scroll wheel mouse in Apple Wireless Mouse design to be launched late March.

I wrote to Logitech, Macally, Kensington and MacMice to hear when they would launch the above describe mouse.

Macally never answered.

Kensington and Logitech confirmed that at present they are not planning to introduce such a mouse.

From MacMice's President, however, I got this positive answer :

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 4:59 PM
    To: Henrik E. Kock
    Subject: Re: 2-button scroll wheel BT mouse !?!?!?

Bluetooth The Mouse coming late March. Same look and size as the USB version. Alkaline battery. On-off switch. Simple. Elegant.

USB version of "The Mouse"

Jack Campbell, President
    MacMice Workspace Products Co.

http://www.macmice.com

jack@macmice.com

15. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

SWEET...although if the USB version is $39.99, I'm guessing the BT version will be a little out of my price range.

THANKS FOR THE INFO!

16. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

As long as they sell a version without the bluetooth adapter then sign me up.