Bluetooth Mighty Mouse?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by plinden, Jul 24, 2006.

1. macrumors 68040

plinden

On Anandtech

2. macrumors regular

eddx

How much do you think this will cost? I would love to get one for my new laptop but I think it could be priced a little too high for a lot of us.

Good news, long time coming! lol

3. macrumors 603

Interesting, and good news--surprised it took this long. Although the quoted article seems to show a bit of a misunderstanding about how the mouse actually works--yes, some people aren't comfortable with the way it detects clicks, but it has to do with the touch sensors, not "fat buttons".

4. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

awesome, about time. Let's hope it's reasonably priced.

5. macrumors 604

zap2

Good new because after using my BT Apple mouse, no way i was going wired even for Mighty Mouse

6. macrumors 68000

dextertangocci

DAMN! I just bought the Apple BT mouse:eek: :( :rolleyes:

7. macrumors 6502a

brepublican

Kudos Apple! Long awaited, I bet they make it available right after WWDC

8. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

*head explodes*

'bout time!

9. macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

There could be arguments either way that the BT Mighty Mouse would cost more than the regular BT mouse. On one hand, if they are the same price, people might just say to themselves, "Oh, the Mighty Mouse has more features, I'll get that," and soon the standard BT mouse sales would be dropping way too much. Or maybe there are still a lot of people who aren't affected by the right click features of the Mighty Mouse and would still buy the standard BT mouse. In that case, making them both the same price would be great. I would say Apple might just stop making the BT mouse if a BT Mighty Mouse comes out, but I find that hard to believe.

I know that a lot of Mac users that are used to the ctrl+click don't really care about having a right click mouse (most people don't notice that you can now do trackpad right-clicking on MacBook Pros and probably MacBooks as well), so it would be my bet that Apple will keep making both BT mice and keep them the same price, or the Mighty Mouse just $5 or $10 more.

Daniel.

10. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Bluetooth Mighty Mouse?

[​IMG]

DailyTech reports that a filing with the Federal Communications Commission reveals that Apple has developed a Bluetooth (wireless) version of its Mighty Mouse, otherwise identical to the current model and its touch-sensitive cover, Scroll Ball, and force-sensing side buttons.

MacRumors recently received word that Apple repair technicians and phone support had been briefed on how to deal with the new hardware, indicating a release may be imminent. The Mighty Mouse was introduced in August 2005.

Update: According to a picture of a preliminary product manual obtained by AppleInsider, the new wireless Mighty Mouse will use Laser tracking in place of the Optical tracking system the current USB Mighty Mouse uses. Laser-based mice typically are more accurate and less prone to errors on extremely smooth surfaces.

11. macrumors 6502

I will now finally go bluetooth and buy a wireless keyboard and a wireless mighty mouse when it comes out.:D

12. macrumors regular

jephrey

YES! Now I can trade in my Microshaft Bluetooth mouse for this one! I've waned a mighty mouse for a while, but didn't want to give up bluetooth (even though I'm never really a distance away that a cord wouldn't reach).

woohoo!

Jephrey

13. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm impressed. I didn't think this was coming. Not that it makes sense for it to have not come. I thought it was going to not come in a totally nonsensical fashion. :eek:

14. macrumors 68020

bobber205

Now that it's Bluetooth, I'll have to seriously consider buying one...

15. macrumors 68020

poppe

Son of...
    I figured this would happen. I've been paying for Apple accessories one time each pay check, while I wait for the Merom MBP to come out, and I just bought a Might Mouse cord in may... I suppose its not that big of a deal, but still...

16. macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

This is long overdue. Hopefully it does not have the same connectivity issues as other products on the market such as those from Microsoft.

17. macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

Using Apple.com prices for comparison, current Mighty Mouse is $49 and Bluetooth Mouse is $59.

I would like to see the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse at $59 or even better a Bluetooth Keyboard and Mighty Mouse Combo for $99.

18. macrumors 65816

topgunn

I really hope that this mouse can better distinguish between a right and left click than the wired MM.

19. macrumors 6502

I voted negative on this story. As I was hoping that Apple would concentrate on fixing the sticking scrollbars on the current Mighty Mouses, (or make it easier to open them and clean) before they just made it wireless.

Also, I'n not a big fan of using batteries in mice. Why not have a wireless mouse that is re-chargable? Or one that you can use wires with if the battery gets low?

20. Guest

iGary

I'll take two, please.

21. macrumors newbie

well this is lovely news, but will the new MM solve the continuously gunked up scroll ball??

22. macrumors 601

andiwm2003

why not four? one for each wheel;)

23. macrumors 6502a

Bah, these things are rubbish. The scroll wheel clogs up with dirt, just as scroll ball mice did in days gone by - except there is no user access to clean it thoroughly. Apple need to re-think the design on this one before updating it.

24. macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Son of a gun. I just bought a Apple (read:expensive) wireless mouse last week. I wonder if I still have the box...

Busy season, this WWDC.

25. macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Ditto - if the mouse is 70 dollars, there's no way I'll pay for it (I'm still surprised I forked over the 50 dollars for the last Mighty Mouse...)

My guess? They lower the price of the wired Mighty Mouse a bit, discontinue the other bluetooth mouse, and replace it with a bluetooth Mighty Mouse for 50-60 dollars. My hope? They offer a bundle, with both the wireless keyboard + mouse for 99 dollars or less.