Bluetooth Mobile Phone + iSync

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by garybUK, Aug 16, 2004.

1. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Has anyone had any experience of using the motorola v80 mobile phone with iSync? it isn't listed as a compatible device on apple's website but am currently very tempted to get one as its free on Orange at the moment with a free motorola bluetooth headset + 250 mins to any network calls free & 30 free text messages.

I currently use iSync to sync my address book & download photo's from my current mobile phone (Sony t610i).

I have also been looking at the Sharp GX30 on Vodafone which is also bluetooth, any look?

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Not familiar with the v80 but I know there are difficulties with Motorola v600 and other MT phones that aren't listed on Apple's site specifically

I believe that the k700 is free on Orange at the moment too - I know that one Synchs without any problem and it has the remote control feature built in too

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Slightly OT: Why is the Apple site so out of date?

kind of disappointed that the iSync page is not more up to date with information on the various cell phones.

4. garybUK thread starter Guest

garybUK

Apple do seem a little 'light' on the info for mobile phones + isync. Good thing with orange is they have a 14 day no quibble phone exchange so if it does/doesn't work i'll post here letting people know and if it bothers me that much, I can exchange the handset no questions asked.

I've just put an order in for the Motorola V80 so will let you know if it works.

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handset/motorola_v80/detail

Thanks.

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

The list was updated just last week. How much more up-to-date can you expect? (It includes phones that have not even been released in the US, or have only been released in the last couple of weeks--I doubt apple gets pre-release versions to test)

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My applogies, but mant model numbers don't make sense to me. Instead of linking to the service providers, they should have each cell phone provider listed with their current phones.

Many of us are "locked in with a particular service".

7. adriantoll macrumors member

I'm at the same point - thinking of exchanging my t610 for a v80 - but having had a look at the iSync page I've also noticed that all Motorola phones are only able to use iSync with a cable, not Bluetooth, which sucks. So even if support for the v80 in isync comes along it probably won't use Bluetooth. (The battery life is pretty paltry on the v80 too, but that's another story...) I was also thinking of the Nokia 6600, but I'd rather not have a brick in my pocket.

8. adriantoll macrumors member

A few posts (mostly about the Motorola V600) have mentioned OnSync: http://homepage.mac.com/antonioferraioli/index.html

People have had a few problems / quibbles (only 25 contacts at a time, 1 number per contact etc.), but I don't know whether that's to do with the difference between the freeware and registered versions...

I might try this out with my t610 to see how it's configured, but if you fancy getting the v80 on 14-day approval and seeing whether it works that would be interesting ;)

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

While that would be nice, not even the cellcos. seem to be able to say what devices they support. In many cases a phone that, e.g., ATT doesn't sell can still be used with AT&T.

Short story: If you have Sprint or Verizon, it's unlikely you'll be able to find a phone that works, since the manufacturers haven't seen teh bluetooth light.