Bluetooth Mobiles

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ari_0, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Ari_0 macrumors regular

I was thinking, drooling rather, about the prospects of the Nokia 6230. It looks pretty descent, it has mp3, radio and camera as well as bluetooth; not to mention 65k display. I was just wondering does anyone actually have one of these? What is it like? Can I use iTunes with it? What about iSync? Im I getting annoying yet? How about if I also ask about the matrix samsung phone? Does that have Bluetooth? Or would it be better for me to grab a Samsung E700/ E710 and forget about bluetooth alltogether (not too bothered about video playback)?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations or advice :)
    P.S. The search enginge on this site SUCKS. So dont blame me if someone said a similair topic a week ago :rolleyes:

2. dav macrumors 6502

SE K700 is better, those two phones complete closely, but look at the K700 styling.

Plus, bluetooth integration on SE phones is always top notch.

edit

Here is a fair review:

3. GeorgeTheMonkey macrumors member

You'll also have a far easier time syncing the K700 with iSync, from what I hear. :) Sony Ericssons have always had a finer degree of integration with iSync and Apples, so just by that virtue alone, I'd go with a SE model over Nokia anyday.

Personally, I'm about to buy one of the K700s for meself, and can hardly wait! :D I think I might end up being disappointed with the camera -- I would really love a 1 megapixel camera, like Sony's putting in the S700 -- but overall, it looks like I'll be happy with it.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

FWIW, my Nokia 3650 has never had a single problem syncing with BT, and I use it as a BT modem all the time.

Doesn't mean the S/E's aren't better. Just that syncing with a Nokia isn't a problem.

5. budaapple macrumors regular

what service does the SE k700 use

Who is offering this phone since it is GSM. Is it At&T or someone else.
    Thanks

6. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

SONY ERICSSON.

in order of better phones from worst to best.
    T616, T637, Z600, K700

7. Ari_0 thread starter macrumors regular

Im based in the UK. I was gonna grab the Nokia phone and use it as a modem for the PB. Though I heard that some phones dont work with iSync so I wanted to find out. I dont find the k700 sexy in anyway. Its square :rolleyes:

The Nokia 6230 is a fave so far. But there is no point if it doesn't work with iTunes (it has a changable MMC memory card under the battery with up to 16mb for mp3, voice recording and video playback).

By the way, how easy is it to get online with a mobile phone? Assuming bluetooth is used?

Edit: I found this, it seems the k700i is as buggy as the Nokia

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Are these all GSM phones? People keep recommending phones on this board, but are they mostly GSM, or CDMA?

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've got a k700 (it's GSM triband) and it worked fine with iSynch. Paired, found and populated the phone's address book within a minute. Brilliant.

As for the bugs, from reading up on the k700 before I got it, apparently Orange and Vodaphone in the UK have put their own version of the SE firmware on them which have disabled some of the standard features. SE have already brought up some updates which you can get flashed to the phone if you have a non-branded one. If you have Orange or Vodaphone, you're up the creek for the moment.

If you want to know more about the Sony Ericssons, try this forum www.esato.com/board which has lots about them. They're as keen on SE phones as we are on Macs! :) There's also a few sticky Mac threads to do with iSynching and using your phone as a modem etc.

10. Ari_0 thread starter macrumors regular

I just found out that the MMC card can easily be changed to a 512MB card for multimedia and such :D

11. kerb macrumors regular

haha my friend has a Bluetooth phone from Vodafone (Sharp GX30).

Only thing is

You can't use it for hardly any bluetooth functions. Picture sharing is disabled by Vodafone because they want you to pay to send an MMS.

12. budaapple macrumors regular

UK phones

So these phones only work in the UK, correct? Are they offered on any service in the U.S.? does anyone know? Thanks

13. Ari_0 thread starter macrumors regular

The Nokia 6230 is a tri-band phone. It should be available in America for around $400. Since it is available for £260 sim-free. Meaning that there will be no restriction on the firmware and configuration. So hopefully I will be abl;e to use the bluetooth to swap files to and from my future powerbook. Otherwise its useless. :eek:

14. budaapple macrumors regular

not a Nokia fan

So what about SE will that 700 model be available in the states

Does anyone know that?

Thanks!

15. Ari_0 thread starter macrumors regular

That phone is also a tri-band phone so yes $400 - $450 or less if you find a good site.

The matrix samsung phone on the other hand is a collector's item so expect a lot of money in exchange; if you can find it that is :rolleyes:

16. Ari_0 thread starter macrumors regular

Right, I have gone off the Nokia 6230. So its head to head between the battery impovrished SE K700 and the extra flashy Moto E398. Any opinions/ ideas?

17. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I have a k700 and I haven't found the battery too bad - although obviously it depends how much you use it. I only turn Bluetooth on when I need it, I don't listen to the radio since I have an iPod and I have the backlight off unless I'm using it. I make a couple of calls a day and receive them. I charged my battery on Friday and it's still got about 40% on Monday. Compared to my p800 which could lose an entire charge within an hour with no-one using it, it's brilliant.

18. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

I've got a Sony Ericsson T616, and it's a great phone.
    The syncing with my Powerbook is fast and easy, and the bluetooth connection is just pretty darn nifty. You can easily add or remove Java games, pictures, theme files, and midi files for ringtones from the phone using Bluetooth (MyT610.net has a great selection of free files you can download for the phone).

There are just a couple of problems with the T616/610, though.
    1. The memory on the phone is pretty small (delete some of the themes, pictures, and ringtones that come with the phone to free up some space). You'll probably want to store most of the pictures you take (with the really low-quality, but still fun, camera in the phone) on your computer.
    2. There aren't many cases available for the phone, and it does get scratched up a bit without one (your best bet is to just be on the lookout for any case that looks like it'll fit the phone).
    3. The phone's timezone "feature" can cause synced calendars to be off by several hours. A solution to this problem is over at the Apple Support Discussions, though.

That said, it's still a great little phone (CNet gave it one of the highest scores of any cell phone).

19. bnemesis macrumors regular

They will work in the US with any GSM provider (Cingular, ATT, Tmobile).

Currently the K700 is not provided by any US cellular company. However, since its a GSM phone, you can buy one and pop in your SIM card and it will work for you. The Z600, is also not provided by any US cellular companies, but you may purchase it online. The T637, and T616 are available from Cingular and ATT, and the T610 (T616 with 900mhz instead of 800) is available from Tmobile.

Most of the phones you hear about on these boards are GSM. For some reason, they usually have more features than their CDMA counterparts. To my knowledge, Sprint has one phone with Bluetooth, and Verizon and Nextel have none.

For a quick reference to phones, their specs, who carries them, and links to dealers that sell them try this link: http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/

I currently use a Sony Ericsson Z600 with Tmobile that I bough on Ebay for under $200. It works great with iSync, and with bluetooth, there are tons of other things that you can do with the phone/mac combo.

20. Ari_0 thread starter macrumors regular

21. svenr macrumors regular

What you REALLY want, of course is the SonyEricsson Z1010.
    Two cams, one pointing to you for video calls, one pointing away for snapshots. Bluetooth, media player, memory cards, ...
    Add to that the Bluetooth Media Viewer for your TV and you have a real winner.

Unfortunately, the Z1010 may not come to the US any time soon. It's a 3rd generation UMTS phone and 3G networks are nowhere in sight in the US... :(

22. bnemesis macrumors regular

23. svenr macrumors regular

But the Z1010 is a dual-band phone for 900 and 1800 MHz, both of which are European/Asian frequencies. The US GSM network, AFAIK, runs on 1900MHz, so I'm still doubtful it would work at all.

I think they deliberately left out the 1900MHz band. They probably have no plans to introduce this in the US as long as there are no UMTS networks. As you said, that would only cripple the phone and make it hard to justify the price.

24. Ari_0 thread starter macrumors regular

Funnily enough, we have 3g introduced in the UK already. It is very sucessful. Plus its half the price of the regular networks (30 dollars gets you 750 minutes of video/ voice calling per month - to any network) I have researched this already.

DO NOT BUY A 3G phone, your GSM sim card will NOT WORK. It will fry immidiatley and may even damage the phone. Its two different technologies. I would have grabbed a 3g first, but the last thing I want to do is see someone's mug on my phone when talking to them. Plus it does make lying so much more difficult ;)

Its neck and neck between these two, another case of style vs power :D
    kinda like tha mac vs Windows