Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

New Mac User

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Cali Bay Area
Hello. I am a new Mac user as well as a new user here on the board. I recently had to purchase a Mac for work.

I've been adjusting okay. I've been using IBMs and Macs since I was very young, but have always used IBMs in my personal life, and don't plan to ditch them anytime soon.

I've had my G4 for several months now. I love the Mac, and the OS X interface is very appealing, but it feels too fancy to me. All bias aside, I don't necessarily feel like it does anything better, or worse for that matter, than its Windows-based counterparts. To me, it just seems to be a personal preference with today's technology.

But I'm not here to start debates or contests about what is better. I like them both for what I need them to do, and they both do their jobs well. :)

However, for a system that "just works", I've been having a few issues.
Most importantly, I can not get the Mac to dial out and connect to the internet via Bluetooth tethering with my PDA. In Windows, it's as simple as pairing with the PDA, selecting the dial-up networking modem service during pairing, and entering the connection numbers. With the Mac, it asks me to pick a modem script to use. I assume this is some sort of driver. The phone just works in Windows without me having to install any additional drivers, so I don't know what driver to use. I wasn't provided a driver from Verizon or Audiovox since Verizon trys to prevent you from tethering for internet. I've tried all of the generic type modem scripts and nothing works. If anyone can help here, that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, and not as pressing, I like to use high resolution wallpapers on my desktops. To try to avoid blocking as much of the image as possible, I like to strategically place my desktop icons so that they don't block parts of the image. Everytime I reboot the Mac, it keeps putting the hard drive icons back in line in the top right corner. My Windows machines leave the icons where I put them. Is there any way on Earth to get the Mac to do the same? I'm sure it must be something simple that I'm overlooking.

I greatly appreciate any advice offered. Thank you. :)

New Mac User

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Cali Bay Area
Another problem I'm having is that my Apple keyboard stops responding once the system boots. It works during boot-up, and for about 6 seconds after the log on window appears. After that, the computer kills power to the keyboard, it seems, as the mouse stops working as well. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.