Bluetooth mouse and keyboard limitations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by suneohair, Dec 21, 2006.

1. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

How you doing? I was wondering.

Are there any limitations to have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

For example, when booting am I allowed to use the keyboard and mouse say to install Leopard?

Anything else I should know about? Thanks.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

As far as I know they can do everything connected keyboards and mice can.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

BT keyboards don't have USB ports or any other sort of ports on them. They do work during install for OS X and even (apparently) for Bootcamp. They need to keep their batteries juiced up. Occasionally I have to reset mine when I reset my computer just because it falls asleep while the computer is power-cycling. But otherwise, I don't feel particularly limited by it.

As far as the mice go, some people have complained that they are not sufficiently price / fast for games. They work fine for productivity types of things. I use it for photoshop too and find it adequate.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i don't think Apple would sell a wireless keyboard and mouse set with a computer and then not let those peripherals work to install an OS; ergo, they'll work.

my wireless mouse (not BT) does not limit me in doing minor photo editing, which is perhaps the only task i do that requires a steady hand.

i had a BT mouse (RadTech BT600) that was jumpy and did not hold a good charge so i returned it and now i use a wireless (with a dongle) mouse. i haven't had a desire to try another BT mouse, but i hear good things about other models (Apple BT MM, Logitech V270).

5. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

I figured it would work. I just remember back when I had a Windows PC my bluetooth mouse and keyboard didnt do anything before Windows loaded.

This isn't windows those. I just saw a thread in the Mini/iMac forum about how his wireless keyboard (assuming not Apple) wouldnt work during startup. Just figured id ask.

Any recommendation on rechargeable batteries? I need some for my Wii remotes as they eat them up might as well get some for the keyboard and mouse too.

EDIT: Nintendo recommends Nickel Metal Hydride rechargeables.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I love my Bluetooth Mighty Mouse. I wasn't in love with the wired Mighty Mouse (sticking scrollball, etc), but the wireless one blows it away. Yeah the scrollball gets stuck occasionally, but it wasn't anywhere as bad as the wired one. And the wirelessness kicks all kinds of ass.

Tracking is beautiful. I've tried another companies' bluetooth mice, and to blunt, they all suck. Not the Mighty Mouse, it rules.

:)

7. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

You better get some Lithium Ion or one of those fancier ones. The regular ones run out SO FAST. I put regular, new batteries in the beginning of this week, they're already half drained. :eek:

8. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

suneohair

After some research the best batteries around seem to be the Sanyo NiMH with the best charging being the LP4000N.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Whenever I use my Bluetooth headset for iChat, my mouse goes all jumpy on me. I wonder if this would be rectified if I had Bluetooth 2.0+EDR on my laptop, because my headset supports that...

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

They also work fine for commands during startup (e.g. hold "C" to boot from disk and press the mouse button during startup to eject disk, etc.).

11. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

You're best bet is to get some rechargeables with high capacity. What you want to be looking is the mAh rating. I have a set of GP (Gold Peak: http://www.gpbatteries.com/Nickel_Metal_Hydride.cfm) batteries which are 2500 mAh. Those are very high capacity. A fast charger is useful too although you could also just make sure you have your unused set on trickle charge permanently.

12. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Yeah, i totally agree. NI-MH high capacity is what you need.

I use 2700 mA/h and change the BT keyboard and cordless mighty mouse batteries every ten weeks or so. (I would certainly get longer but I never turn my keyboard off)

Dave :)