Bluetooth Mouse Range

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by oldschool, Feb 25, 2004.

1. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

While using my MX900 with built-in bluetooth on my PB15" it seems that the range is very limited.

At about 3 feet from the computer the cursor gets extremely jumpy and uncontrollable.

How do the ranges of other people's wireless mice compare?

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

I have a belkin mouse. Just checked the range..seems infinite:D ..i was like at the other corner of my apartment..like 20 ft, asked my friend to see if cursor moves smoohtly..it was..
    so I guess your battery may have gone weak..

3. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

:( it says the battery is fully charged...could there be a problem with my bluetooth module on my computer?

4. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I've got the same mouse, the mx900, and while I can't test it easily to the stated range (living in a dorm room, so....) it seems to work fine up to 10 ft. 3 feet seems well under acceptable limits.. If you have any other bluetooth peripherals you could test them to see if it's the module. I'd also try to make sure the batteries are fully charged in the mouse.

5. Azoblue macrumors newbie

Perhaps it's the surface. Optical mice tend to jump on dark surfaces, check that first.

Hope for your sake that's all it is.

6. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

nah its not the surface...i don't know what the problem is...if i move to the same surface three feet away, same problem.

Does hardware test check bluetooth? I don't want to have to boot from a CD and then find out it doesn't check it.

7. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I have the Apple mouse and it works fine at 6 feet, farther than that I can not see the screen.

8. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

My MX900 & PB17 have more range than I have eyesight. I can see the mouse moving around up until the time I get far enough away that I couldn't even see the mouse.

9. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

10. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I have Apple's Bluetooth Mouse and I accidentally left it on in my living room, and booted up the powerbook--2 rooms over and the mouse was still connected. I dunno how jumpy the mouse would have been though, as I just went and turned it off. I also the Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse and its range is not very good--it "sleeps" within a few seconds and you have to click to "awaken" it.... very annoying.

11. Fabrix2003 macrumors regular

Erm yeah my Apple wireless mouse is very good for range i had a similar problem, my mouse got caught up in the bed covers, girlfreind made the bed and i ended up accessng all sorts of applications the next moning when the laptop was in the dining room, its amazing the range on those apple mouses, but not sure on battery life as it really isnt that accurate.