Bluetooth mouse... what should i get?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mattmook, Nov 5, 2004.

1. mattmook macrumors member

Oct 31, 2004
    St Albans, UK
    Hi all,

I'm wanting to purchase a bluetooth mouse and am wondering what recommendations anyone could make. I have built in bluetooth in my laptop so wanted it for use with this. I guess I could also be tempted by a keyboard as well if they come together.

Cheers for the advice.
  2. Mac Geek macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2004
    Bristol, UK
    I have an Apple Bluetooth mouse. It's OK, but far from Apple-perfect. The pointer stutters sometimes and there is a lag after not using it for a bit (I haven't timed it) - must be a power-save 'feature'. Basically, I wouldn't buy another, but nor will I be selling it. Does that help?
  3. dodonutter macrumors regular

Nov 4, 2004
    Deep South UK
    Me too

Not that it really helps but i want to know the same thing. All the BT mice i have seen come with a dongle, do you have to use it or can you use the built in BT in PBs?

Personally i was thinking of getting a Logitech MX510 . Its wired so not exactly what i wanted but it'll never scip with those specks, plus it looks cool! :D
  4. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    come on, do a search. . . . there are tons of threads on BT mice you can read about

thats a search result from what i did, i know there are good threads there.

my personal reccomendation is The Mouse BT from it looks like the apple mouse but has two buttons and a scroll wheel. look through the search results and youll find more reviews on it.
  5. mattmook thread starter macrumors member

Oct 31, 2004
    St Albans, UK
    Yeah and none of those results were much use to me. I hadn't noticed any recommendations of any BT mice other than Apple and Kensignton both of which didn't sound that great. I presume there must be other manufacturers out there, like MS.

I did buy one of these the other day but the damn thing was faulty and like other people here I don't like the fact that the scroll wheel doesn't click. It also felt very cheap to me.
  6. hob macrumors 68020

Oct 4, 2003
    London, UK
    Yup I similarly wouldn't recommend the Apple BT mouse. Friend of mine just got a 15" PB with one of those mice and was moaning about it - I still use the USB Optical Intellimouse I picked up for about £17, 4 years ago! He envies my right mouse button and scroll wheel!! I appreciate apple trying to simplify things with one button but OS X is pretty much a two-button os - some apps (esp. 3rd-party) are written specifically NOT to support command-clicking but many, such as the iApps and MSOffice are great with right-clicking

7. mattmook thread starter macrumors member

Oct 31, 2004
    St Albans, UK
    I hear you on that! Maybe I should just stick to my MS wired mouse as well. Certainly from what I've read on the forums here there doesn't seem to be any decent BT mouse out at the moment. I looked on the MS site but I didn't really like the look of their BT mouse, much prefer the shape of the wired one I already have. The only reason I was thinking BT was because I have bt built in to the laptop so it makes sense and those damn cables only get damaged the way i carry em around.
  8. mattmook thread starter macrumors member

Oct 31, 2004
    St Albans, UK
    Further to my last message, one of the engineers at MicroAnvika implied that they'd had quite a few faulty MacMice Mouse BT, so it is definitely one make I'm going to avoid in the future.
  9. Blurb macrumors member

May 7, 2004
    I use the bluetake BT-500 mouse. Originally bought it for my PB, but actually use it more often with my iMac, since I like the way it fits my hand and its simple clean design: just 2 buttons and a scroll wheel (one that clicks!). It feels sturdy, and has an on/off switch to save battery life. It's small, made for laptops, but fits my purpose as a desktop BT mouse.

Here's where you can get one:
  10. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

Oct 23, 2004
    Phoenix AZ
    From what I've heard The Mouse BT is good, and so is the Radtech mouse if you like 2 button mice, but if you gotta stick with the one button the Apple mouse is awesome..
  11. comictimes macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    Berkeley, California
    I've been looking at bluetooth mice for a while, and this is about what I'm getting:
    Kensington: good mouse, good feel, if it works. A lot have issues (screeching noises, etc.).
    Microsoft: Lots of software and hardware issues, no intellimouse pro (only the standard 2 buttons and a scroll wheel)
    Logitech MX900: Very good mouse, works very well with most people's hands, has a docking station, extra buttons. No software for macs comes with the mouse, instead 3rd party sofware must be downloaded.
    Macmice: good mouse, not as heavy as some mice, some say it feels like it's made poorly. Has on/off switch, and very good battery life, and software designed for mac. basic 2 buttons + scrollwheel.
    radtech: well made, works in general, cheeper than other mice, has on/off switch. laptop sized (smaller than most mice), basic 2-buttons + scrollwheel.
    apple: works acceptably, made for macs. Only one button.

And thus is the problem. None of the mice have exactly what I want. A well made, heavy-ish bluetooth mouse with the 2-buttons and scroll wheel, and with an on/off switch.
  12. JFreak macrumors 68040

Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    apple bt mouse is otherwise perfect, but i have to carry batteries with me all the times. it might work better if the mouse was always located in office conditions, but as i carry the laptop & stuff with me and it's rather cold outside, the batteries die too soon.
  13. mpinsk macrumors newbie

Nov 7, 2004
    logitech mx900

i have the logitech bluetooth mouse and it works great.

Use the Hub as a recharging station only, don't plug it into your USB port, like this the mouse will use your internal bluetooth.

You can program the buttons to work with Expose without any additional software. But if you want to use the buttons for things other then Expose, you'll have to download Gamepad Companion.