Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
Great reply inocen1

I really want the mx900 but it hasn't come out in Canada yet...

inocen1

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2003
Thanks Oldschool,

I'd be careful with getting one though. I'm sure peoples experiences with it vary, but on my dads new Imac the pointer jumps around for no apparent reason quite often. I've looked into plenty of different ideas on why its doing that, but none seem to fit as a cause, especially not one that should happen with any decent mouse. Its just random and gets worse pretty quickly. Oh well. Not much to be done. Hope this helps a little.

Come on manufacturers get on the ball and make at least ONE decent mouse that works specifically with Macs. Its not that hard.

inocen1

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2003
Also, I'm curious Oldschool, why couldn't you just buy it online from someone in the States and get it shipped to you in Canada? I'd be surprised if you told me that its some kind of different bluetooth standard on Macs in Canada.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
bluetooth is a worldwide standard.
So even if I would ge mine in the US or wherever, it schould allso work on my European Bluetooth enabled computers...

greets J

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by inocen1
Also, I'm curious Oldschool, why couldn't you just buy it online from someone in the States and get it shipped to you in Canada? I'd be surprised if you told me that its some kind of different bluetooth standard on Macs in Canada.

No its nothing to do with the bluetooth. I just don't want to pay the shipping charges then the 30 dollar customs charges.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
This is a little off topic, but is Bluetooth good for anything else besides cordless mice, keyboards, and phones? I thought we'd be innundated with BT printers, scanners, speakers, and headphones by now.

What I'm really interested in seeing is a USB hub that connects to my iBook via bluetooth so that I can have all my peripherals connected to this hub and tuck away all the cords out of view. Right now I have too many cords going into my iBooks (power, usb mice, speaker, and printer for starters). Is such a bluetooth-USB hub purely a fantasy?

inocen1

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2003
30 DOLLARS!! Holy crap! It's quite understandable that you wouldn't want to pay that. Man, I never knew. Chalk one up to good old U.S. ignorance. But now I know and knowing is half the battle. Go Joe!

inocen1

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2003
Dongmin,
You know what, I completely agree. I remember reading all kinds of articles on the technology back in the day and haven't seen practically any of it realized. Bluetooth is like molasses it seems. Especially compared to other technologies out there. I get the whole "it hasn't been accepted enough" argument, but still, wouldn't something be a whole lot more accepted if companies would put out cool pieces of tech that used it.

I look forward to the day where I can get some bluetooth speakers. That would be sweet. I suppose I kind of see why speakers haven't come out yet. Have you ever transferred a MP3 from one bluetooth equipped mac to another. My GOD talk about slow! Can you imagine a WAV file! Compared to 802.11b or g you'll feel like youre back in the stone ages. So I imagine that unless they find some way to seriously compress whatever signal would have to be sent to the speakers (hmmm wouldn't that be an analog signal?...interesting) you'd either be hearing some seriously degraded music or maybe you'd have to wait awhile...or maybe I have no idea what the hell I'm talkin about.

Besides that I'm pretty much wireless already. When I got my new powerbook I also got the Airport extreme and connected my printer to the USB port on that, which makes for wireless printing and wireless ethernet. I got a bluetooth mouse and keyboard. So other than that I just have to plug in the AC adapter and I'm good to go.

I have speakers which I plug in once in awhile and a scanner which I have to plug in very rarely as well. Though it would be nice to go wireless with these, its a pretty minor inconvenience.

So Dongmin, if you decide to maybe go my route to make your life a bit easier, just one word of warning, be very careful what printer you get for the airport extreme. Its only compatible with certain ones. Theres a list somewhere on apples site. Yeah, I mention this cause I had to send a printer back because of it.

Lastly, this is kind of interesting to note. My printer is that HP 995C bluetooth printer. I got it about 1 and a half years ago. I think it was the first one to come out with bluetooth already in it. Course I don't use that bluetooth function at all (I got it to work one time with my Compaq Ipaq) , but its kind of funny that it has bluetooth but I'm using it wirelessly with 802.11g instead. Yep, What a good old fashion waste of money that bluetooth function was. Oh well.
I got very lucky that it happened to be compatible with the Airport Extreme USB printer.

Hope I helped give you some options.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
raising the dead

I know this is an old thread, and if I really try I can find the answer, but the original question is still bothering me. Is it possible to find a cheap ($30-40) BT mouse that is convenient for travelling? I'm thinking 2 or 3 buttons and a scroll wheel. I saw the BlueTake BT500 was close to what I'm looking for. How is its quality/reliability/compatability/etc?

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
Mac Mice

I've heard of a really nice 2-button, scroll wheel mouse made by Mac Mice that looks exactly like the Apple Pro Mouse. A Bluetooth version is coming out in June. You can find the wired version here:

http://www.macmice.com/themouse.html

I'm getting the Bluetooth one in June for my PB. Hope this helps.

JOD8FY

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
just get a usb mouse...

a nice and light usb would be great for travelling. I have the macally ice mouse and i love it.

i also finally got an mX900 and it was more hype than anything else. the damn thing is so heavy my wrist is in pain after five minutes of use. and my wrist isn't weak ;)

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
oldschool said:
i also finally got an mX900 and it was more hype than anything else. the damn thing is so heavy my wrist is in pain after five minutes of use. and my wrist isn't weak ;)

Really the MX900 is heavy...mmm...that was my current mouse choice when I switch...maybe I'll take another good look around when I buy in July (when of course my G5PB will appear!).

inocen1

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2003
G5PB in July, you wish

Just thought I'd add a couple things to this thread. As you all might know from reading my posts, I have the logitech mx900. Still lovin it, still a great mouse. Old School, are you actually a 5 year old girl and your saying your wrists aren't weak for a girl your age or what? My wrists have never once hurt from using the mouse and I don't really consider it all that heavy either.

Also, I fixed my dads problem. Luckily he has an imac and plugging in the usb part of the bluetooth charger for the mouse was not a big deal to him. Once I bypassed the internal bluetooth and used the one on the logitech it worked extremely well, and still is actually.

An INTERESTING NEW FEATURE I found when doing this with the logitech bluetooth adapter is that it actually made the left buttons work on Safari as back and forward buttons automatically. Weird huh? Kinda nice. I could change them to expose buttons but they are nice to have them do this feature by default.

Lastly, I too am waiting the ever-extending time for that darn macmice BT mouse for my travel purposes. I hope its worth waiting for.

Hope that helps

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
inocen1 said:
Also, I fixed my dads problem. Luckily he has an imac and plugging in the usb part of the bluetooth charger for the mouse was not a big deal to him. Once I bypassed the internal bluetooth and used the one on the logitech it worked extremely well, and still is actually.

You have had conflict problems with iMacs and other macs unless you use the adapter? :(
What sort of problems?

An INTERESTING NEW FEATURE I found when doing this with the logitech bluetooth adapter is that it actually made the left buttons work on Safari as back and forward buttons automatically. Weird huh? Kinda nice. I could change them to expose buttons but they are nice to have them do this feature by default.

Lastly, I too am waiting the ever-extending time for that darn macmice BT mouse for my travel purposes. I hope its worth waiting for.

Hope that helps

Mmm. I want one for a PB so I don't want to have to use an adapter. Hope the macmice bt is out soon as well and proves to be fully operable.

inocen1

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2003
Much like one of the earlier posts with the guy with the Bluetake, the damn mouse was jumping all over the screen from time to time. It was very aggravating. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what the problem was. Looks like its the bluetooth in the mac.

Matthew

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
inocen1 said:
Much like one of the earlier posts with the guy with the Bluetake, the damn mouse was jumping all over the screen from time to time. It was very aggravating. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what the problem was. Looks like its the bluetooth in the mac.

Matthew

Your BlueTake mouse acts stupid too? I'm using the internal bluetooth on my iBook G4. Mine just stops tracking (the flickering red light underneath just stays on instead of flickering). So now it sits on the floor somewhere I think. Anybody want to buy it for $25? :) (I'm serious)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.