Bluetooth mouses?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thegreatluke, Feb 4, 2006.

1. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

I've been looking around in a few places.

I'm looking for a full-size, Bluetooth mouse with two+ buttons and a clickable scroll wheel. A plus would be rechargability, so I don't need to replace the batteries a lot, but that's not necessary.

I've been looking on some of the major brands' websites (ie. Logitech, Macally etc.) and it's a bit hard to find good Bluetooth mouses and their sizes while wading through all of the "wireless" mouses. I know they're out there, but I just couldn't find any for my life. :D

Can anyone recommend a good full-size Bluetooth mouse?

2. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've seen many which-mouse threads go by here.

Try searching the forums and you're sure to find them.

4. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

My vote goes to Logitech MX900..
    Hard to find now.. .but its great... good size and no craddle required to work as long you have built in BT

5. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Check out the new Logitech S530 keyboard and mouse (not bluetooth) out in March... I kow its not bluetooth but its a laser mouse and a Mac built keyboard.

6. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i really don't understand why companies choose to make wireless mice and keyboards that are not bluetooth. like logitech, they have plenty of wireless stuff, but only a small handful that are bluetooth.

7. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I think BT is problematic. Its not as fast or something as RF is. Any engineers about?

8. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    not sure about the speed differences between RF and BT but I know that BT was basically invented for things like wireless mice and keyboards and such. RF most definately has a greater range that BT, but I already have a BT adapter in my laptop, the last thing I want to do is carry around extra usb dongles that I have to plug in. :mad:

sorry, it's 7:00AM and I should probably get to bed, I seem to be getting cranky! ;) :D

9. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

BT is RF. It just happens to be a smart RF protocol rather than a dumb one. Like any packetised protocol, there is a certain amount of overhead involved which reduces the available bandwidth and because it is packetised, needs a certain amount of processing on each end.

In practice, the available badnwidth for bluetooth devices is plenty sufficient for audio transmission and HCI devices such as mouses, keyboards, trackerballs, etc.

Regarding the OP's question, I'd suggest TheMouse BT which is (probably) available from DVForge, Chang Wi, MacMice, Mac-Pro, Macland, Atlantia and John Lewis'.

Apple is rumored to be working on a wireless version of the MightyMouse but of course Apple aren't saying when (or even if) it will be released.

10. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

When is a mouse more than a mouse

A beautiful mouse. I thought the company that made those went out of business, but I see macmice.com aka dvforge is back online again.

11. thegreatluke thread starter macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

I can't really use Pro Mouse-shaped mouses because I have Carpal Tunnel syndrome (from many years of being a nerd and a wrist fracture) and they make it worse. :(

I think I'm going to get the Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse - it seems like a great deal, a good mouse and it has the best reviews.

Thanks for everyone's help!

12. furrina macrumors regular

13. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

The Logitech MX900 will get my vote but like said before they are hard to come buy (Seems they only come as set with a keyboard etc)

Maybe take a look at Microsofts bluetooth mouse lineup they look and feel pretty good and a lot of people here use them.

14. mark88 macrumors 6502a

I think the reason is simple. Bluetooth on XP is a car crash. Whereas bluetooth is so so simple on Mac, using bluetooth mice and keyboards under XP is no fun at all.

Saying that though, I can't understand why Logitech would make a Mac only keyboard and not make it bluetooth. If anything else it's just a pain to have a USB wire and dongle hanging around, the whole idea of wireless is to get rid of wires.

15. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I also like my Logitech MX900 BT mouse. Even though there is no driver from Logitech for Mac, I was able to map some buttons for Exposé and Dashboard. The tracking accuracy is a little less than what MX1000 Laser mouse offers. But, for my iBook (which typically I take with me when I am travelling), BT mouse and BT keyboard is very convenient because I don't have to unplug/plug anything. I think some of Logitech's RF mouse has a stronger signal; but, you need to plug in the USB dongle or dock.