Bluetooth on Refurbished Powerbook 12" not working

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by heljy, Dec 4, 2003.

1. heljy macrumors member

I just received my refurbished powerbook 12" that I purchased from Apple's online store last week.

It came with OS 10.2.3 installed. At that time, I noticed that there's a bluetooth icon at the top right hand of the menu bar.

Just this week, I installed Panther that came with it and brought the system up-to-date with Software Update. Included is a bluetooth update, airport, iPod, 10.3.1, etc. I installed all of them.

After that, I noticed that the bluetooth icon on the top right menu bar is greyed out with a line across it. It seems that bluetooth is no longer installed in my system. I checked System Perferences and there is no Bluetooh preferences. I used the hardware diagnosis cd that came along with the computer and it didnt detect it as installed.

Since I was using my notebook as a desktop with external keyboard, mice and monitor, i have the lid closed and battery removed. After not being able to get the bluetooth module to work, I put back the battery and it suddenly works again. I can turn the bluetooth on/off from the icon on the menu and there's the bluetooth option on the System Perference.

That was 2 days ago, however, today, when i boot up my system ( my battery is still installed ), the bluetooth icon is missing altogether!!

I am running out of ideas of what could happen. I tried calling tech support, but since they were close. I am trying my luck here to see if anyone had a similar problem.

I have read several posts about update the bluetooth module to 1.4.1 would cause some problems when the computer comes up from sleep. Is this it?

Any ideas/advice?

Thanks in advance

2. clifford17 macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem. Bluetooth was working fine on my new PowerBook G4 12inch. Then all icons disappeared (including from System Preferences) and my Mac doesn't seem to think it has Bluetooth at all. Is this a trend? Any ideas welcome!

3. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Since your powerbook was just bought from apple, I would suggest calling them as soon as possible. (1-800-APL-CARE)

4. clifford17 macrumors newbie

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    since you got it just recently just have apple look at it. your still with in the 90 days full support so you are in a great position to get repairs and all the support you should need.