Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMAC G5dreamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Hey guys im about to buy a new iMac G5 but i dont know if the bluetooth keyboard and mouse will be good,of course i want the freedom of not having all the cables and such,but with regard to the battery(that is my concern)how much can i use it with normal batteries ?(from your experience guys)i mean the keyboard,more or less how much do the batteries last,for instance ,if you use it just an hour a day,(in total)but you have the computer runing all day long ,let's say sometimes in sleep,then active when you get back ,etc

i need to decide in two days ,can anybody help me out

thanks guys
i appreciate it
daniel :D

VooDooPope

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2004
The Heights, Houston TX
most people who ordered BT have just started receiving their macs. I've had mine since the 28th so there is no way for me to give you a good estimate.

It does look damn good without any cords so IMO it is well worth it.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
The wireless keyboard/mouse are great! Though I use my mouse with my PowerBook and not the G5 iMac. You can turn them off when not using them so I would assume the batteries will last a long time.

solidGas

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2004
I just got my iMac on the 27th. I really like the feel of the wireless keyboard, and the heft of mouse. With the batteries in the mouse it is quite heavy. Anyway, I read somewhere that the batteries will last two weeks of normal use. But the real question is: What is normal use?

Even if the batteries last two weeks, that means you will have to replace six batteries 26 times a year. If you calculate it out at $0.50 a battery thats $78.00 dollars a year. I don't know if I'll be using the keyboard and mouse if I have to keep changing batteries that often, but I really got the bluetooth for my cell phone.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I got the BT/KB/mouse bundle with my iMac G5 but have been using an Apple BT KB for a while now. First set of batteries lasted 6+ months and I never turned it off. As for going back to a 1 button mouse, feh. Probably going to sell the Apple BT mouse. I picked up a Logitech MX1000 today. Has a real nice feel to it but still charging so haven't used it yet.

lost_mobius

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2004
I have an apple wireless keyboard and get 3 months plus with average use on a regular set of batteries. The keyboard automatically turns on and off to save power. My mouse was equally as good, but I replaced it with a macally bt mouse, much better mouse execept no power switch, and 2 buttons w/ scroll. I would highly recommend bt with apple, good stuff. I am to order my G5 tomorrow with bt built in. It will be my first computer with it built in, until now I use the adapter with both my macs. Hope the info helps

iMAC G5dreamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
lost_mobius said:
I have an apple wireless keyboard and get 3 months plus with average use on a regular set of batteries. The keyboard automatically turns on and off to save power. My mouse was equally as good, but I replaced it with a macally bt mouse, much better mouse execept no power switch, and 2 buttons w/ scroll. I would highly recommend bt with apple, good stuff. I am to order my G5 tomorrow with bt built in. It will be my first computer with it built in, until now I use the adapter with both my macs. Hope the info helps

that's cool 3 months seem fairly good ,i also ordered the macally,they do good thinks but i had already thought about the mouse a while back ago,i was doubtful about the keyboard ,that looks pretty good 'cause to be honest i dont think the apple wireless mouse is good enough for the lack of buttons ,so i think i'm going for the bluetooth,

thanks guys,any other replies will be appreciated

earthtoandy

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2003
i use a logitech wireless keyboard. its been several months and my keyboards battery is barely showing any loss. the mouse lasts many many days and then i recharge it. nice option of course. and i use my computer all damn day.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'm on the same set of batteries that came with my apple bluetooth keyboard back in april. The battery indicator currently shows 3 bars out of five remaining.

iMAC G5dreamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
well i think im pretty convinced ,the bluetooth will be excelent,by any chance has anybody sync with a Palm T3 ,how has it worked out?any problems,or anything seem seamless and flawless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.