BlueTooth Printers

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Solafaa, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    I would like a small nice BlueTooth printer. I would be sing this in my room since i spend a lot of my time writing/reading emails/forums and works stuff on my bed. Sometimes i need to print stuff where i have to get out of bed, walk accross the hallway, go down the stairs, get into my office then print what i need.

I would place the printer over my refrigerator (medium sized one) so it dose not have to be extra small. My bed is about 4 meters (13-14 feet) away so bluetooth would work great.

Any product recomendation?
  2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    I don't even think they have put bluetooth in printers yet.

If they have, then anything from HP, Epson, or a major brand where you can pick up a new print cartridge. And just make sure the pages per minute is something you can deal with if you want to go really cheap.
  3. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    assuming your laptop has some form of wifi couldn't you just get a wifi enabled printer or an ultra-cheap usb printer and airport express?
  4. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    I use AirPort Express with my printer too. Works great. If you're getting AirPort Extreme/Express JUST for the printer, yeah it's pricy and not a great idea, but if you use AirPort already for wireless internet, why not?
  5. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Nov 3, 2004
    Near London
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
  7. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    my experiment

I'm one powered USB hub away from having all the materials I need to conduct a Bluetooth printing experiment.

I recently got a Bluetooth USB adapter and an A to B USB adapter. I plugged that combination into the back of my Canon i450, and the LED on the Bluetooth dongle did not flash.

From that I surmised that the printer does not transmit power over its USB connection, and what I will need to do is add power. That's where the powered USB hub comes in, and once I get that I'll get to complete my experiment.

The Bluetooth adapter cost about $15 brand new (including shipping). The A-B adapter was maybe $4 shipped. The cheapest powered USB hub I know to be available is $13 at my local Micro Center. So, the experiment will cost me just under $35.

Maybe someone else here has attempted what I'm describing, or has all these parts already and can try it out before I do. It'd be great to hear your results.

Anyhow, if you're trying to print out photos you do not want to use Bluetooth ... unless you don't mind waiting around 5 minutes for each picture to print. Bluetooth printing is a bad idea except for text, unless time means nothing. That's why Airport Expres, 802.11b/g and ethernet printing makes way more sense. If you already have a wireless access point / router (such as the Linksys WRT54G), just connect an ethernet printer to one of its ports, set it up and you have a wireless-G printer.