Bluetooth Question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JzzTrump22, Mar 9, 2005.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

How do you remove names from the list of devices? I can't just right click and hit delete.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

From which list do you want to remove devices...?

3. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

When you right click the bluetooth icon and go to "browse" there are some names i want to get rid of.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Open ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist (using Property List Editor) and under Root go to RecentDevices. Mark the ones you want to delete and press the delete button.

Mark that the plist only have the BD_ADDR of the devices, on the form 00-0a-d9-2f-ef-17, if you haven't added them to favorites then you have to guess the friendly name (or check the date which either shows last used or added, not sure).

5. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't have that file in my system.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You don't have a file named com.apple.Bluetooth.plist in /Users/<your username>/Library/Preferences/ ...? :confused:

(Remember ~ is just a *nix shortcut for your home folder)

Then where are your Bluetooth preferences...?

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Try going to System Preferences and then Bluetooth. See if what you want is there.

The '~' symbol means your home directory which can vary to things like "john" or "bobby" or "thegreatmacintoshuser" so they are just represented by the tilde, or "~"

8. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, i didn't pay attention to the ~. I found the file.

9. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

The wierd thing is that i cleared the list in the System Preferences. But the names remain on the list when i click "browse"

BTW, i don't know how to use/open/get property list editor.

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

In System Preferences you "only" delete the FavoriteDevices, not RecentDevices...

I just open Property List Editor (think the app is in Core Services, not sure) by double-clicking any .plist file, like com.apple.Bluetooth.plist ;)

And this approach works, I tested it here on my machine and deleted all the entries under RecentDevices (kept two in FavoriteDevices, though, which now are the only ones appearing when I choose "Browse Device..."

Edit: Just found Property List Editor... it's in /Developer/Applications so if you don't have Developer tools installed you can either edit com.apple.Bluetooth.plist with a text-only editor (emacs, textwrangler, subethaedit, etc...) or (if you don't need to keep any devices in the recent-list) just delete com.apple.Bluetooth.plist all together...