Bluetooth/Razr V3c help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Daveway, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I can get my mac to pair with my Razr, but iSync can connect to it and when I try to browse it, it doesn't pass validation. Any ideas? Its from Alltel so it has OBEX enabled.

Please help.

-Dave

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For what it's worth... I am getting a RAZR on Monday (yayay for Magenta! :D )... but this is my experience with my Nokia....

I can do a lot of stuff with it using BT:

iSync works excellently.
    The phone can push files to the computer and also receive pushed files.
    The Address Book integration is also fine
    The modem functionality also works splendidly

However, browsing the phone has *never* worked. In my case, I don't get an error, but the file tree is always completely empty, without even any folders to which I can navigate. So it's always been basically useless... :(

I'm not sure where this limitation arises from.

Can anyone with a Bluetooth phone browse it from OS X?

3. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I can browse my Sony Ericsson K750i no problem.

The only thing irritating me is that if I send a block of files over bluetooth, the phone asks for confirmation for each file (pain in the posterior if you're transferring 10+ mp3's)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It seems so inconsistent... my Nokia doesn't do that (each one just appears as a message in the inbox). On my Axim, it does this sort of, but as the files accumulate, it also offers an "Accept all" option. But my Axim doesn't seem to have the appropriate service to be browsed. :eek:

5. Rocky3478 macrumors regular

Yep, I can browse my Razr V3c on my PB. But I flashed my Verizon phone to Alltel on my sister's PC. It works like a charm!

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Oh dear, sorry to disappoint you but there are problems with Motorola's new stuff and bluetooth on OSX. The V3 will not communicate properly with OSX coz there is a translation problem between Motorola and OSX. Apparently its Motorola not using standard bluetooth protocols again and so certain phones cannot sync properly via bluetooth on OSX. Namely the V3, my SLVR and the PEBL.

Heres a link to my thread in the Apple Discussion forums ages ago:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=1802373#1802373

I have since emailed Motorola about a software update but I have received no reply, even though they stated they reply to everything within 24 hours, its now getting on for about 157 hours.

FYI devices can pair with bluetooth but cannot communicate what services they offer to each other and so cannot validate. However iSync (latest version) can transfer vcards and ical stuff via USB (not sure about Bluetooth). Total bummer I know but no one seems to be doing anything about it. There have been 2 OSX updates since I first noticed this problem.

Also there are some cases where people dont have this problem. Which can only be seen as a problem having a problem that inturn voids the initial problem, so it works like it should. :D

7. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

Other people were having success using the v3c and tiger, but it seems the latest Alltel SW update has cripled all functionality.:mad:

8. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

I got a V3i a few days ago and it has the same problem, no bluetooth services available and the phone crashes and restarts when i try to browse it with my iMac, iSync using usb works but doesn't allow file transfers.

But it works ok with usb on a windows pc though so i can at least transer files to and from it.

I hope an update or 3rd party app comes along which allows file transfers for the recent motorolas as even virtual pc won't detect it.

apart from that its a great phone, I added a 1gb transflash card so it now replaces my ipod shuffle.