Bluetooth Replacement From Nokia?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Oct 3, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Nokia has developed a potential successor to Bluetooth dubbed Wibree. Separating this technology from other potential, but more developed technologies (ZigBee) is its interoperability with existing Bluetooth radios, making cheap dual-mode devices a possibility.

While Bluetooth's power requirements are far less than other wireless protocols such as WiFi/802.11, some deem it still too high for some applications. According to MacWorld, the technology is capable of delivering 10 Mbps data transfers at up to 10 meters, however this may be in doubt as the technology's website cites "physical layer bit rate of 1 Mbps."

Apple currently uses Bluetooth for communication with its wirless keyboard and wireless Mighty Mouse, as well as communication with mobile phones via iSync.

Digg This

2. Guest

ppc_michael

1 Mbps? Meh. Although that would be pretty great for mice/keyboards. Bluetooth is so expensive. :(

3. macrumors P6

twoodcc

i really don't think bluetooth is going anywhere

4. macrumors 68000

Josias

Bluetooth 2.0 with Enchanced Data Rate gives you 3 mbps (I know that is just a figure, but...)

This doesn't sound like great news. It doesn't have longer range. It seems to be faster and if I'm not misunderstood, it consumes less power. Wibree sounds really dumb. Bluetooth sounds way cooler.:D

5. macrumors member

Die BlueTooth, Die

Apart

6. macrumors 68020

poppe

bluetooth is pretty nice for keyboards and mice, but other than that all the other products I've seen and used don't work all that great. Specailly head sets for cell phones... All the ones I have tried are always receiving interferences and become scratchy/static like. I'm down with advancements.

7. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

I like the name "Bluetooth". I makes me laugh when I hear it.

8. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So...wibree and zigbee...is the principle requirement of the new standard that it have a retarded name? :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

And arrrrgh... yarrrr... I like the name Bluetooth also. It was even better four years ago, when I got my first BT headset, and no one ahd even heard of it. Yarrrrghhh!!! :)

9. macrumors 6502a

I like Bluetooth. It lets me transfer songs from iTunes as ringtones for my phone wirelessly, plus pictures and videos too. But if this works better then bring it on. I don't care about the name. As long as it works.

10. macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Agreed. I too, love Bluetooth on my Sony Ericcson W600i phone. I am able to easily transfer photos and music on it. As long as something works.

11. macrumors 6502

Coheebuzz

I use Bluetooth to transfer small files to my different computers on the fly, so any bandwidth increase is welcome.

But the thing i hate with Bluetooth is the poor reception when there are obstacles around - sometimes it's impossible for my G5 which is placed under the desk to communicate with my laptop which is on top on the desk and i have to lift my legs up so the signal can get through!

Thats really primitive :rolleyes:

12. macrumors 65816

I guess that WiBree is Bluetooth with a saner* more generic software/protocol stack, and possibly simpler controllers prior to the radio part which remains the same - however reusing existing Bluetooth controllers might make more sense.

Bluetooth is pretty entrenched however now. It will be hard to encourage uptake of yet another wireless standard that operates in the same space.

* Bluetooth's protocol stack includes serial port emulation at one part IIRC

13. macrumors regular

backwards compatible eh? that ought to be interesting to see used in devices...

14. macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

hey technology is always advancing
    dunno if it would be building something for patent money, or to build a better bluetooth

15. macrumors 65816

Clive At Five

Successor to Bluetooth... damn. I don't even have Bluetooth yet... ;)

But that's because this is my phone: [​IMG]

You think you've all been holding out for a PhonePod? You ain't got nothin' on me and my playskool piece of trash.

But if Apple foresakes bluetooth in exchange for solely the standard iPod terminal, I'll still be out of the loop. heh. I'll be the last (hu)man on Earth without a Bluetooth device. *snickers*

-Clive

16. macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

Wibree = Garbage.

Nokia is just upset that Ericsson created Bluetooth.

> FACTS of Bluetooth. Already a world standard & is open; with a certification group involving MANY manufacturer's including Nokia.
    - Many profiles exist that allow for things like OBEX push, Stereo Headphone/Music Streaming support (v1.1/1.2/2.0).
    - 3Mbps in a Asynchronous transfer mode (BTv2.0+EDR) and ITS that fast overhead was already factored in; this is why without the EDR you only get 2.1Mbps.
    - Its power consumption is VERY low especially cellphones like SonyEricsson lineup. If critics of power consumption exist then they've been using products that have inferior chipsets, OR using Class 1 BT radio's that can transmitt up to 100meters! Yes there are 3 classes, most cellphones are Class 3 which is at 10meters (only the Moto Razr has Class 1 that I'm aware of).
    - Bluetooth will be blended with the UMA project that will allow MUCH faster bandwidth close to 10Mbps or higher.

Think of ALL the products that already use bluetooth.
    Many company's like RedM have already (3 years ago) used Bluetooth in a Wide Area Network open to the public.

[EDIT] btw, Bluetooth is that name of a Viking that was able to Concor lands and unify a nation with his Soothsaying, his tooth was actually Blue!

17. macrumors 65816

What is the differences and advantages between wibree, wibro, and wimax?

18. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, that's ill! :eek:

19. macrumors 65816

Will it be safer than bluetooth? That would be most important to me, less radiation exposure.

20. macrumors 603

notjustjay

... and will they work with my wii?

:D

21. macrumors member

From a technical perspective, how could we not love improvements and competition. But come on, we already have an open standard, bluetooth, and it took a TON of marketing dollars to educate the consumer on what bluetooth is. That is where most of the effort went, but now, the tide is turning, and bluetooth is improving fast...couldn't Nokia just work within the bluetooth group they are members of? They just want licensing dollars.

22. macrumors 6502a

can we make bluetooth more reliable before we work on new stuff?

i am going to buy a usb mouse because bluetooth is simply lagariffic.

23. macrumors 68000

dernhelm

HA! Maybe Nintendo's terrible name wasn't as terrible as we originally thought, eh?

24. macrumors 68000

dernhelm

25. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

Have you read the article? They are working with the Bluetooth group... This is simply another protocol that is lower speed, lower power, but can reuse much of the same hardware used in Bluetooth to save cost. It's not a headset replacement, it's for talking to sensors and ultra low power, low data rate devices. Think pulse sensors, or watch interfaces.