Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
I've got a Powerbook 1.25, and a Sony Erricson K700i.

Now I've had these two paired on bluetooth for quite some time, syncing contacts, sending photos from my phone to computer, etc. This has all been fine with no problems.

But recently, about 2 months ago, I started occasionally getting messages on my phone saying there was an incoming package, and did I want to accept it.
Typically these are around 15 to 35 KB in size. If I accept, I will often ( but not always ) get another repeat message straight away, this happening sometimes several times in a row. If I reject it, it keeps hassleing me to take the message.

I cant see any new files on my phone ( but I wouldn't know how to look for any except pics / audio files ). This happens about once or twice a week.

So - what could it be??

Why has it started??

Is there anyway to find out what my computer has been sending my phone?

And how can I stop it?

Thanks all.

:) :)

Applespider

macrumors G4
Are you sure it's your computer sending the files and it's not someone trying to blue-jack you from another mobile? Next time it happens, see if there are any other BT devices in range.

I have exactly the same set-up and haven't had anything like this happen.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Home or not, it doesn't mean you aren't being hacked. You don't say if it happens when your Mac is turned off, but I bet it does.

My advice to everybody is to turn bluetooth off when you aren't using it. It simply isn't secure.

meathane

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
have u got any apps running that may want to connect to it like blue phone elite? when u synced did u say ud like it to be a remote for the mac? maybe u have an app running that u may have a remote for, like VLC or something

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Happens to me a fair bit, and it's always someone trying to 'bluejack' me, or just messing about. I recommend turning bluetooth off when you're not using it.

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
Okelly Dokelly folks - only happens when computer is on, know both neibhours so aint them. Not running any bluetooth related software, once in a while iSync.

So assuming its my computer trying to send stuff to my phone, how can I see what it was, is therr a log of what bluetooth sends?

Also, for my benifit - can someone explain bluejacking? I understand people scanning for other phones ( say in a bus / cinema etc ) and sending them a file with a witty title { I love you - et al } - but is there more too it than that?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
jbrown said:
Also, for my benifit - can someone explain bluejacking? I understand people scanning for other phones ( say in a bus / cinema etc ) and sending them a file with a witty title { I love you - et al } - but is there more too it than that?
The link I posted above says that malicious folks can download calendars, contacts, pretty much anything you store on your phone. Not funny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.