Bluetooth security?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by KevRC4130, Oct 11, 2004.

1. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Hi all,
    So I'm thinking about a bluetooth mouse, but I've heard that once you activate bluetooth and bluetooth perhipherals, your computer becomes very easy to break into, where people can read all of your files and possibly tamper with things and send files/viruses/badness. I'm just wondering how true this is, and if I should go for an RF mouse over bluetooth. Is bluetooth secure or not?

Thanks

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Well as far as the security thing goes, I am sure that it is safe...

But I know for a fact that since no virrii and spyware occur on the Mac then you know that part is taken care of.

3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Well, Apple's keyboard uses 128 bit encryption, so everything you type is (pretty) safe. I don't know how hard it would be to hack into the actual computer, but this reminds me of an episode of TTS where these defcon guys hacked into a mobile phone with BlueTooth from 1.1 miles away to steal all the contacts and phone numbers. Pretty cool if you ask me. :D

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

5. KevRC4130 thread starter macrumors 6502

Supposidly, you can somehow boost bluetooth range. I think its still only about 50 yards though....

6. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Yup. World record too. ;) :cool:

Technically, it wasn't simulating 'real world conditions'. On guy stood on top of a bench, holding his cell phone way up in the air; the guys that were trying to hack it, had jury-rigged a satellite dish about 2 feet in diameter, that they were also holding way up in the air.

It took a few tries, and a few minutes, but it worked. :D