Bluetooth set up issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Old Sniffer, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Old Sniffer macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a new Mac Mini, (without Bluetooth installed) that I want to set up. I already have an Apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse (for Powerbook) that I want to use with the Mini. I bought a D-Link DBT-120 bluetooth adapter to make the Mini BT-enabled.

I have two questions:

1. How do I set up the mini without access to the BT keyboard & mouse (as I won't be able to access these until connecting and setting up the D-Link adapter). Is there a way round this, or will I need to borrow a USB keyboard & mouse temporarily to set the mini up?

2. If I'm using BT keyboard & mouse to operate both mini and powerbook, how do i switch between computers (re recognsing the BT signal?).

Thanks.

2. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

I think you'll need to borrow a usb k/b and mouse, as the BT module is a D-link, so won't be recognised by OS X until you've installed its driver. (you might be lucky and find that its recognised automatically, OS X does work miracles a lot of the time.

As for Q2, I don't know if a simple switch is possible. Assuming the PB has bluetooth, the only way I can think of is that you switch bluetooth on / off as required on each of the computers. Once you've switched BT off though, how do you switch it back on again................????

3. Old Sniffer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice SteveP.

Looks like I'll have to borrow a USB keyboard & mouse! (but I will try plugging in the D-Link adapter first, to see if I get lucky with Tiger).

As to question2, I think I will just have to use the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for the Mini, unless anyone else out there has a workaround for this problem :confused: