Bluetooth Speakers ?? Do they exist?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mtrctyjoe, Aug 15, 2005.

1. mtrctyjoe macrumors 6502

mtrctyjoe

I am looking for a pair of amplified speakers to connect to my ibook wirelessly (Blue Tooth) - does such an animal exist? I have a very small desk and can not afford to have any more cords running around.

2. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    You might of stumbled onto something patend that and share the profits with me, or just give me a pair.

3. mtrctyjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

mtrctyjoe

89 views and no answers...?

I am honestly beginning to think that Blue Tooth Speakers do not exist?? :mad: I can not believe it !!!

4. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

They do have BT audio transmitters that send sound signal wirelessly, but it sounds like that would just add to your desk clutter. If the speakers were wireless, they would have to have batteries, and replacing batteries on my speakers would be the last thing I would want to do.

5. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Bluetooth speakers dont exist as far as i know.

I do know that you can have wireless speakers, but they are fairly clumsy or use pretty expensive devices on the sending and the receiving end, and of course, the quality suffers. For instance if you ripped a cd to your hd thats analog > digital > BT > digital > analog. That is unless there is a BT > analog converter.

I do know that BT can be used for data transfer, and one music company does use this, but it is only for MIDI data, not sound. So i guess not, although with BT headsets for cell phones etc. it should be possible, but maybe just not high enough quality for production. A wired signal is and will be the best quality for many years to come.

If someone does stumble across them let us know.

6. mtrctyjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

mtrctyjoe

BT audio transmitters

I may be OK with that.... what I am trying to do is when I bring my iBook into the Kitchen - it detects the speakers and uses them. I do not want to have to plug into the "audio in" 150 times a day. I know that I will need an a/c powered speaker. I just wish someone made a BT A/C Powered PC Speaker in and of itself.

7. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I've seen BT headphones, sold for the ipod. They're expensive, I'm sure BT speakers would cost more.

So instead,

Get an AP express?

8. mtrctyjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

mtrctyjoe

Air Port Express ??

I want the speakers to work as actual external speakers... not just for music.

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR) has a data rate of ~3Mbps which isn't enough for high quality audio... iThink.

10. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I'm one reason might be because any speakers would still need a power cord and built in amp, so it wouldn't be wireless really anyway. Bluetooth headphones exist because they make sense to run on batteries. Speakers, not so much (for instances when it does make sense, you probably want more thant he 30' range of bluetooth, so radio wireless speakers are more practical).

Are there such a thing as USB powered speakers. if they were powered by USB, it would cut down on the wires, but I dunno if USB would have enough power for that honestly.

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Thought Bluetooth 2.0 has about the same speed as USB 1.1? If so, then that's definitely enough for high quality sound.

Maybe I'm just thinking of WUSB though.

12. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

You can get the Airport Express and use Airfoil to send all sound to the speakers. I haven't used it personally but I have heard good things about it.

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Provided that works as advertised, the AirPort Express might be the coolest gadget that have ever existed - wireless networking/internet, wireless printing AND wireless sound. Christ.

14. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

I saw somthing like this on a forum once but I cant find it again. :confused: :mad: