Bluetooth Stereo Headphones for my PowerBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dermeister, Feb 18, 2004.

1. dermeister macrumors 6502

dermeister

The title says it all. I really want to buy bluetooth stereo headphones for my powerbook... So far all I've found is mono-one-ear-cell-phone headsets... Not exactly what I'm looking for.

Do these exist? I've google quite a bit... Can't find anything. I don't get it... I'm kill to buy something like this, as I'm sure many others would... Why doesn't anybody make stereo BT headphones?!

Unless someone knows where these are available?

Thanks,
    -DM

2. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Before I start, I'll warn you that I have not so much as looked for Bluetooth headphones, nor have I researched them at all. But I hate to let a post go without a reply, so I'll pass along what I've heard the birdies talking about in the trees outside my window.

Bluetooth at this stage doesn't have the bandwidth to carry a GOOD stero signal. From what the finch was saying, bluetooth headphones will wait for the next gen of bluetooth before they can be made feasable. The Finch was quick to add that he knows nothing about the next gen of bluetooth, or if there ever will be.

Tyler
    Earendil

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

yep bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth for good quality sound. even using the ear piece/mic headset on a computer doesn't produce that good a quality sound.

sonystyle.com has a nice wired to wireless headphone/mic that is usb read i think. you can also buy wireless heades but a transmitter will have to plug into your sound card.

4. akb macrumors member

Yeah, Bluetooth currently runs at something below 1Mbps (I seem to recall reading it's about 720kbps). WiFi, on the other hand, is approaching 100Mbps now.

I'm no expert on these things, but I think we're going to see more and more WiFi devices for high-bandwidth applications like this, rather than major bandwidth updates of the Bluetooth standard. In fact, if WiFi chipsets can get as small as Bluetooth chipsets, and introduce protocols similar to those used by Bluetooth devices, I don't see much of a future for Bluetooth (unless it goes mega-high bandwidth over a very small range - like 1-2m - as a true cable replacement technology) which would be a real shame.

I'm unaware of whether present WiFi electronics (or supporting protocols) permit such a device as you're requesting, but I can certainly see it happening. :)

5. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

to be fair, wifi runs at 11 Mbps (airport) or 54 Mbps (airport extreme), wifi is not yet as fast as ethernet (100 Mbps being common for that). I'm sure faster ones are in the pipeline, but nothing commercially ready is at ethernet speed yet.

That said, its still a substantial difference I have to admit I don't think bluetooth is really that cool a technology either. though some of the things they are doing with cars interfacing with bluetooth phones is pretty cool. thats been the only usage of the technology thats held any interest for me.

6. akb macrumors member

No, not yet - but the 802.11h, i, j and goodness knows what else are on the horizon. I've no idea how much faster they will be (if at all), but there's definite progression. :)

My main point is that WiFi is moving onwards and upwards. Bluetooth, to my knowledge, has changed very little since it first hit the scene. Here in the UK at least, Bluetooth take up is being driven by mobile phones - most people just using it for hands free and sending contact info to each other. If mobiles start getting outfit with WiFi (as I heard the Nokia chief talk about), then Bluetooth's popularity and value to the consumer will plummet. Imagine being able to check your Email, or watch a news report, inside a WiFi hotspot on your mobile, for nothing. Bluetooth, not being used much for wireless networking, can't really compete there.

The fact that it warrants a version number (I think 1.1 is where we're at) makes me think there should be scope for development, though...

7. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Actually now for the real fast standards, people are looking away from IEEE 802. standards. UWB or ultra wide band may be the next big thing, and may totally take over bluetooth..but it would really take some time to come..