Bluetooth updater 1.2 available

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by russed, Nov 23, 2004.

1. russed macrumors 68000

russed

just found the bluetooth updater in my software updater.

the initial file to download is 1.5 mg then it downloads i would guess another 5mg when the programme is running.

things seem ok for me and no apparant differences!

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Yeah, I've just updated too, and haven't had any bluetooth related problems for nearly a year now (I'm just using the keyboard, maybe improvements are more noticeable with the mouse). I wonder what exactly this update does? Then again, maybe things do feel a bit snappier...

3. lalcan macrumors regular

It says it's for "is for D-Link USB Adapters (revision B2 or later)", but, how can i know what revision is my D-Link?

Besides, is it real that applying the firmware updater will make it incompatible with other systems?

Are the changes worth the eventual incompatibility?

TIA

Leo

4. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I've got an internal bluetooth module on my PB (as does russed—we've got the same model), so I don't know about compatibility issues, but you can probably find out the revision of your bluetooth module by going to the apple system profiler, which can be accessed by clicking the apple in the upper left, selecting "About this Mac", and then "More Info", which will open up the system profiler for you. Then, I expect you'll find that info when you select "USB" (with the bluetooth adaptor installed in the USB port).

5. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah, I bit the bullet. No problems so far. Maybe this will fix the problem with my Palm that occured in the last OSX upgrade...

6. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Look on the sticker on the back of the dongle itself and it will give you the hardware revision number. Just make sure it's a B2 or later. And yes, if you flash the D-Link adapter with the Apple firmware, it will no longer work with Windows. Not that Bluetooth works well with Windows anyway to begin with. :p

7. UWStudent macrumors newbie

The damn updater hosed Bluetooth for me. I ran it, it disabled BT, I hit update, it sat there for a bit "Searching for device to update..." then would go "Idle," then "Preparing to update device..." and finally back to "Idle." After a while the Update button would no longer be greyed out. I tried again several times and nothing. When I quit, it says that it hasn't finished, and my BT module stays disabled. WTF?!?

Using a 12" PB 1Ghz w/ internal BT btw.

Oh great... BT is no longer in System Prefs either.

Edit: Well I rebooted, and BT was working again. I'm sitting this update out. My Logitech BT mouse worked just fine without it.

8. lalcan macrumors regular

It's strange... connecting the USB adapter directly to the usb port didn't work, same as UWStudent, idle, searching for a device, preparing the update, and start again...

Using a USB hub it worked flawlessly, the only thing i've noticed is the power led isn't lighted anymore (and i actually prefer it that way).

Lancetx, thanks for the info ;)

9. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Updated the updater then ran it. It disabled my Apple BT keyboard and MS BT mouse and wasn't doing anything else so I shut down the system and started it back up again. Everything is fine now and the only thing that is different for BT in the System Profiler is the Bluetooth Firmware Updater :confused:

10. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

It's all good

I downloaded it and installed it at work today. When I got home my wireless keyboard and mouse are working fine.

aussie_geek

11. Perdix macrumors newbie

I found exactly the same problem. However, I'm still waiting after an hour for it to go back to idle - it is still "Preparing to update device".

This is the first time I've ever found an Apple update to go wrong.

12. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

The update went smooth on my PowerBook and Bluetooth works just fine afterward.

13. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

You guys are running the updater after you install the update, correct? The only thing that changed on my box was the updater. I can't get it to do anything but lock my G5 up though...

Bluetooth File Exchange:

Version: 1.5.1
    Last Modified: 2003-12-16 16:08:18 -0500
    Location: /Applications/Utilities/Bluetooth File Exchange.app
    Get Info String: 1.5.1, © 2002-2003 Apple Computer Inc.

Bluetooth Firmware Updater:

Version: 1.2.0
    Last Modified: 2004-11-23 19:55:26 -0500
    Location: /Applications/Utilities/Bluetooth Firmware Updater.app
    Get Info String: 1.2.0, © 2003-2004 Apple Computer Inc.

Bluetooth Serial Utility:

Last Modified: 2004-11-02 18:51:04 -0500
    Location: /Applications/Utilities/Bluetooth Serial Utility.app
    Get Info String: 1.5.1, © Copyright 2002-2003 Apple Computer Inc.

Bluetooth Setup Assistant:

Last Modified: 2004-11-02 18:51:04 -0500
    Location: /Applications/Utilities/Bluetooth Setup Assistant.app
    Get Info String: 1.5.1, © Copyright 2002-2003 Apple Computer Inc.

14. lalcan macrumors regular

Exactly, the installer only updates the updater, you have to run the updater manually and i guess it shouldn't be locking your G5, is that an iMac, a Powermac or some of those -as yet unavailable- G5 Powerbooks :confused:

In what step does it lock? you have an internal or an external bluetooth module?

Sorry, no one had mentioned the G5 PB yet... ;)

15. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Did it fix the problem?

AppleMatt

16. logboy macrumors newbie

ok

using a g4 powerbook with wireless mouse and airport...

anyhow : powered up machine today and no mouse can be found. the red light doesnt seem to come on when i lift mouse up slightly, but on clicking it will.

tha machine doesnt recognise the mouse when i browse it via bluetooth, and i have downloaded all the updates for wireless mice via apple (1.2 as mentioned here)... sometimes i get "does not have the necessary services" and sometimes i strangely get a "connection lost" but all i can use to surf / use machine is use that annoying pad on the machine itself.

dont know what to do / try next... help please!

17. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Got it!

I got it to work on my Power Mac G5 (Dual 2 Ghz). I shut down the system then turned off both my Bluetooth devices and used the USB Apple Mouse and Keyboard. Booted back up and ran the firmware updater. Made it all the way through successfully and after another shutdown/restart am typing this message on my Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and navigating with my Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse :D

Interestingly though, the software versions did not change - maybe because this was a firmware update - DOH.