Bluetooth USB adapter, what to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by PickledSquirrel, Oct 29, 2004.

1. PickledSquirrel macrumors regular

Dec 10, 2003
    Aarhus, DK
    I just got meself an ericsson T610, and want to transmit pics from phone to my iLamp G4. I think the way to go is buying a bluetooth USB adapter. The question is, what will work? do I have to get the pricy D-link thingy they advertise in the macshop, or can I go with other (cheaper:D) types?
    Don't know much about this, so any help is appreciated.

2. atomiton macrumors regular

Sep 23, 2004
    bluetooth can be finicky... buy it from a place with a return policy and just buy an inexpensive one.
  3. fowler. macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2004
    I bought one from CompUSA without even knowing how finicky they are. It's worked perfect for me all the time.

It was a CompUSA brand adapter that cost around $30
  4. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I have two D-Links, they cost me US $35 each a while ago, and they've functioned flawlessly.
  5. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have the d-link and it works perfect with my t610. don't forget to check out these great apps to compliment your phone

bluephone menu: BluePhoneMenu is a small application that adds Caller ID and SMS functionality to your menu bar and desktop using your Bluetooth enabled phone.

blue note: little program for getting notes onto your Sony/Ericsson, i use it to make list and little notes. beats the hell out of using the phones # pad.

salling clicker: remote control itunes,dvd,powerpoint,vlc, support for apple scripts, and a whole lot more. this app rocks!

Romeo: same as salling clicker not as polished, but free.
  6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I use the one that came with my M$ BT mouse and it's not so great. It works fine except that my BT mouse and keyboard aren't able to wake the computer from sleep. And if I forget and try to wake it that way, then when I actually do wake it (button on the monitor), I have to unplug and replug the adapter before the mouse and kb will work.

So don't go the M$ route! (though the mouse itself is excellent, I must say.)
  7. Angelus macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2002
    New Zealand
    I have the Belkin Bluetooth Adapter(F8T003).
    Does the job perfectly and it looks quite good too. Love the flashing blue light. It's much cheaper than the D-Link and does the same job.

Attached Files:

8. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    I'll second the D-Link, works flawlessly with my iMac and bluetooth mouse/keyboard/P900.
  9. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    I've used both a ComOne (Com1) and a Anycom bluetooth adaptors, both works perfectly on my sawtooth. I'm using the Com1 now (i borrowed a the Anycom from my father earlier).
    I'm using OSX Panter 10.3.5 now (used the Anycom with 10.3.3 or 10.3.4) with a Siemens S55. I can reccomed both.
    Only the com1 claimed mac os support.

If you know some PC users, borrow their BT adapter and try it.
    (and buy the same if it works or trade a new one with theirs)
  10. timsq macrumors regular

Feb 27, 2004
    New Orleans
    One more plug for the D-Link. Perfect service day in, day out. I have a Sony-Ericsson T608 and a MacMice Bt Mouse that I use with my lamp (800/15) and it couldn't be better. It takes up that empty spot on the keyboard and iSyncs its little antenna off. :D :D :D :D four big grins rating.
  11. PickledSquirrel thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 10, 2003
    Aarhus, DK
    Thanx everyone

went and got a noname and it works like a charm. Have spent the evening playing with Romeo, Salling and BluePhoneElite, feeling them increase my geekfactor 10-fold:D Boyfriend is very impressed+ it keeps my mind of the presidential election...

12. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    I got a noname once for $20. It worked but eventually it started crashing the SystemUI (the thing that controls the menu extras). As a result my time (also a menu extra) would freeze and I was late to a couple of classes. I had to buy a Dlink and since then my menu bar has been happy.