Bluetooth

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Ikstej24, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Ikstej24 macrumors regular

Will the Nokia 6230 work with iSync? I am switching to Cingular Wireless and I want a phone that will run on my G4 using bluetooth. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ikstej24 thread starter macrumors regular

Under that compatablilty chart it says Nokia Series 60 smart phones. Is the 6230 part of that series? And will any Siemens bluetooth phone work like the chart says?

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I could be wrong, but I don't think that any phone that isn't specifically mentioned is compatible.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

5. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Just got a 6620 myself. Nice phone, but I am missing my 3650. It seems that nokia is moving away from there old sync protocal in favor of one that is not supported in isync yet. But rummor has it that the hired a guy to work on isync and the new nokia phones.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Not helpful in terms of the Nokia but Sony Ericssons always seem to iSync well. My last 3 SEs have done so without any hassle - the last Nokia I got as a loaner, I gave up with.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Everybody disses it, but can I get a w00t w00t? :) I still like mine, aside from how big it is....The way a lot of US svc providers have been messing with BT implementations, and all that, I keep resisting the urge to upgrade it.

8. noel4r macrumors 6502a

I have a Nokia 6230 myself and it doesn't work w/ iSync. It's not a Series 60 phone (Symbian), it's Series 40 phone. Go to versiontracker.com and look for a program called PhoneDirector (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23570), it's a program that will sync your Nokia 6230 w/ your Apple via Bluetooth. You can try it for free and purchase the full version if you like it ($29.95). I haven't purchased the full version just yet but it works fine.

Anyway, while we're talking about the Nokia 6230 phone, I'd like to say it's a great phone although it doesn't look cool like SE phones. It has a ton of features like vga camera, video camera, mp3 player, FM Radio player, bluetooth, infra-red, speakerphone, voice recorder, etc... Also it has an included 32 mb external mmc card which you can upgrade up to 1GB, Newegg has one for $75 (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-155-265&depa=0) You can get that card instead of an iPod shuffle and save yourself $75 and have one less gadget to carry around. Btw, in order to use the FM radio, you have to buy a Nokia headset (around $30.00 in ebay).

9. Ikstej24 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all of the input....it helped a lot

10. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

w00t w00t

11. Ikstej24 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all of the help...I bought my Cingular plan with the Nokia 6230 today, and you were right, it is an incredable phone and that program works perfectly

12. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

Awesome! Thanks for the info! By coincidence I just ordered the same phone and service with Cingular. :p

13. noel4r macrumors 6502a

14. Ikstej24 thread starter macrumors regular