blumenthal: George Bush Sr. asked retired general to replace Rumsfeld

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 7, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002

2. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    There were rumors Rummie offered his resignation, but W refused to accept it. I suspect there's something more to the story, but everyone else seems to want him gone. Gee, I wonder why.

I don't know, I'm thinking history won't be as kind as they seem to think it will be.
  3. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    Interesting if true.

I have come, over the years, to respect the elder Bush and his tenure as President. I may not have agreed with all of his policies, or necessarily thought he was always on the level.

Nevertheless, I kinda think he got an unfair shake by many people for his Presidency. I do think, that whatever the elder Bush's faults - he was a smart man, and astute Politically - not in terms of winning elections - but of knowing how to get things done - how to maneuever in the system.

While perhaps overly simplistic, the elder Bush lost re-election in no small part by breaking his promise not to raise taxes. He must've known how that would hurt him politically, but it proved (to me at least) to be the right thing to do. He was willing to put that ahead of personal interests. Contrast this with his son, who is, as this example shows - unwilling to change course no matter what.

GHWB - substance, no style.
    GWB - style, no substance.

I preferred Dukakus (sp?) over GHWB in '88, but if there was to be a conservative in the WH - I'd rather it be a real one, who had at least a shred of integrity or common sense. Perhaps GWB takes more after his mother...
  4. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    I'm still pretty pissed at Bush 41 for saying
  5. tristan macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2003
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    I'm not a Rumsfeld fan by any means (though I love his quotes), but GHWB isn't president anymore, and should stay out of GWBs grill. Did Roger Clinton get to make Cabinet appointments? I hope not.